Chapter fifteen

A/N: For those who read this story and who have been worried that I might be stopping it... NO FREAKIN' WAY! ;D It's just that my laptop got broken - not by me but by someone who was very angry and decided to take it out on my poor defencless piece of technology!D': Anyway, I lost like five chapters so it's taken me a little while to be able to re-write them [I HATE RE-WRITING STUFF UNLESS IT'S FOR EDITING.] But here's the next chapter anyhoo! ENJOY!(:

Oh.

P.S - Who's team are you on? Team Sawyer? Team Hunter? Or Team Keegan? 

~~~

         Chapter fifteen

    "Lyra, are you okay?" 

   My eyes snap towards the direction of Jade's voice. She stares unflinchingly at me, eyebrows pinched together, her forehead creasing with concern. I rub a hand over my face tiredly and nod with a small sigh.

   "I'm just tired."

   "Yeah, I know that feeling." She replies weakly.

   I realise instantly that I've been neglecting her. A lot. There's dark smudges beneath her eyes - eyes that are slightly blood shot. Her skin is almost grey, her hair scraped back into a tight ponytail. Jade always has time for her hair.

   "Are you okay sweetie?" I ask softly, placing a hand on her arm.

   "Yeah, I've just been having some bad nightmares." She sighs.

   "Oh yeah? About what?" I raise an eyebrow, eyes roaming the hall.

   I cross my legs on the bench, my sandwich sitting uneaten in my lap, partially wrapped up. All around people are moving to and from classes or to the cafeteria for their lunches. I find my eyes drawn to Hunter and his friends. His eyes meet mine for a moment and he smiles, slow and wicked. I frown and turn my eyes back to Jade.

   "It's weird - and nearly always the same. I'm in a room and... it's empty and dark. But the longer I'm in there, the more frightened I become and it's like the room twists and contorts... then there's this figure." She trails off weakly.

   "Figure?" I tilt my head to the side slightly.

   "Yeah, it's tall and lean - I suppose like a guy or maybe a really boyish girl. All I know is that it looms over me and even in the dark, it's teeth are entirely white and brilliantly white, flashing in such a menacing way..." She shudders visibly.

   Instantly my eyes move back to Hunter and I clench my jaw as a small bubble of anger spreads through me. He seems to almost feel my furious glare because he turns and winks.

   "Listen to me honey, you can stay over mine tonight. I'm sorry I've been distant lately. It won't happen any more." I pause and reach across to give her a tight, comforting hug. "I promise."

   "Thanks. Hopefully having someone there will help me sleep." She shrugs.

   Out of the corner of my eye, I notice Hunter begin to move away from his group. I narrow my eyes. "Jade, I'm really sorry but I'm going to have to go. I'll see you in maths, okay?" 

   "Oh sure..." She shrugs. "I need to go to the bathroom before class anyway."

   I blow her a kiss as I stand and begin to move after Hunter. I try to keep a steady pace but when he rounds a corner I find myself racing forward, a short burst of speed. I turn the corner and slam - I run smack, bang straight into Hunter.

   I jerk back furiously and the way he raises an eyebrow just makes me ten times more furious. Before I can help myself, I slam him forward, straight into the wall - silently grateful that no one appears to be around.

   He smirks. "I didn't think you'd be so up for another hot make-out sesh."

   "Shut up." I jerk him from the wall and slam him back.

   He laughs softly. "I love it when you're rough."

   "You told me you'd leave her alone." I hiss.

   "What are you talking about?" He queries, brow furrowed slightly.

   "Stop playing games god damn it!" I snarl furiously.

   I go to push myself away from him but as soon as I do, he grabs me by the wrists and turns us, pining me to the wall. I glare at him but don't fight him. 

   "What are you talking about?" He growls softly.

   "Jade. I know what you're doing to her. Her dreams. Stop messing with her. You gave me your word."

   Our faces are inches apart and my body jerks slightly in an attempt to free myself from his grip. But it's like his hands are iron shackles, unmovable. He doesn't respond with words, his fingers just tighten slightly around my wrists, enough to cause a small hiss of pain to slip from between my clenched teeth.

   "Jade... she's having nightmares?" He asks quietly.

   I nod furiously and swallow hard. 

   He smiles suddenly, a smile that seems entirely out of place. "And you think it was me?"

   "Oh don't play the inoccent card with me. You broke your promise."

   He laughs softly. "Did you expect any less from a vampire?"

   "No." I spit.

   "Well how about we make a new deal?" 

   "How about no!?" I cry out of indigation.

   He leans in closer, impossibly closer and twists his head so his lips brush alongst my neck, caushing my fingers and toes to clench.

   "Stop..."

   "New deal." He pulls back as if reluctant. "Tonight you allow me to taste you... and I won't harm her."

   "Like I'd trust your word." I laugh.

   "Like you have a choice."

   I swallow hard, eyes twisting away. His lips are against my pulse once more, tongue darting out delicately. My body arches away from his touch and a small noise of protest comes from the back of my throat.

   "If you don't, I'll kill her."

   "What if I kill you first?" I growl.

   "You could try - but even if you did, I have plenty of friends who would take great pleasure in killing all your friends and family." He breathes against my skin, his voice thick and hoarse.

   "Get away from me." I mutter.

   "I'll be waiting outside your window tonight, late. Don't disapointment me." He whispers.

   Before I can respond, his hands drop from my wrists and changes position. One hand tangles in the back of my head, fingers threading my hair and the other grabs my chin. His lips press against mine and a heat spreads throughout my body. I know he's cold, dead and cold, all throughout his body and yet his lips ignite a fire that has me desperately trying to free myself.

   He refuses to let go for a moment, lips moulding against mine and one of my hands grasp at his shirt, the other pushing on him. He pulls away slowly, his eyes dark and burning with intensity. 

   "See you tonight."

   Then he pulls away, turns and walks off without another look back, just leaving me a quivering mess.