Chapter one

Chapter one

I’d been no longer able to keep the company of Keegan. It’s not that he’s boring or anything as stupid as that. Hell no, he’s plenty interesting. If you’re into the whole ‘man-whore’ kind of guy. Because let’s be honest – that’s all he is. In class, despite the fact that we’re betrothed, I often see some slut covering every inch of him. Does it really bother me? Obviously a little but nowhere near as much as it should.

So here I am, running top speed through the woods, my wolf ready to burst free...

“Mutt!” The roars stops me in my tracks and I whirl around to try and locate the voice. “Rogue wolves are not tolerated in our territory!” 

I soon find the source – a small clearing filled with people. Well – they’re not exactly what you’d call people. They’re werewolves, just like myself. Normally within one territory there’s only one pack. But Thorntail and Swiftmoon pack have had a truce for generations that they share the same woods – and in return they look out for one another.

Souka, the Alpha of Thorntail pack stands surrounded by the men of his pack, some still teenagers. All of them are circling one boy who appears no older than me. 

As soon as my eyes rest on him, everything jerks to a stop. I can hear my heartbeat and nothing else; despite the fact that Souka’s mouth continues to move. All I can see is the profile of his face, the curve of his nose, cheeks, lips... all gorgeous perfection. Just beneath the surface I can hear my wolf whining.

He stands there, surrounded by these big burly wolves – his own body seeming more lean and wiry than buff – and he seems completely calm and in control of the situation, completely uncaring.

“You can try to get rid of me. I can’t really guarantee you’ll succeed.” Even his voice is completely composed, unruffled. His posture is relaxed, his hands clasped behind his back.

“Wanna bet kid?” A pack member snarls. I can see his wolf beginning to show, the slight curling of the lips, the way his jaw shifts, his hands beginning to gradually change.

He doesn’t respond, instead he smiles slightly as if mocking them, daring them – an evident challenge. 

“Get him!” Souka’s lip peels back to reveal elongated canines. 

All at once they rush at him, each of their wolves beginning to peak out from beneath the surface of their skin. I watch in admiration as he moves gracefully with such poise. He deflects, dodges and moves with ease whilst they lumber almost awkwardly – despite how quick their wolves are, he is quicker.

None of them get the chance to make the full change to wolf because no matter how hard they strike or how many of them strike at once, they never hit him. He’s quick as lightning, as elegant as anything I’ve ever seen before. It’s as if his body is a liquid that he controls.

I don’t know how long until it’s all finally over. A few minutes at the most. Not a large amount of time. He took them all down – six fully grown wolves – with no difficulty at all.

Sprawled across the floor they lie, either groaning in agony or unconscious. He steps towards Souka who has managed to pull himself into a slightly upright position against a tree. He flinches when the boy leans towards him.

He grabs him by the front of his shirt and despite his size he lifts him to his feet with ease.

“Next time I decide to take a stroll through the woods... make the right move, okay?” His voice is low, dangerous. 

Souka nods his head, just slightly at first but more vigorously when the boy shakes him. “Alright, alright!”

“Now get lost – and take your dogs with you.” He barks.