Chapter 7: Will you marry me?

I paused mid-sentence because I saw a sight I would never forget. It was imprinted in my brain. My heart sped up, my stomach rose into my throat and all went quiet around me. For there, in the sky, in bright green letters read 'Dana, will you marry me?' I turned to Matt, and there he was, holding a ring and smiling.

As all the jaws dropped around us, my head felt like it was going to explode.

"Is that even legal!?" Dash yelled.

It was a good question. We're only sixteen, so I don't think it IS legal.

"Yeah, it's legal as long as both parents have given permission," Matt smiled.

"So that would mean..." I groaned, knowing what I would have to do.

"Yeah, sorry," Matt apologized.

"C'mon Dana," Dash encouraged. "Tracking down your dad and getting his permission won't be THAT hard!"

"Maybe," I said vaguely.

My head was spinning. Was it true what Dash said about Matt making me lose my edge? Turning me into an boring old lady? Then again, what Matt said about my edge not defining me also rings true.

But the question he asked me was a major decision. I mean, if I said yes, I would have to track down my dad, ask for his permission in writing - and knowing him, he'd say no just to mess with me - then there'd be a wedding to plan that would cost heaps of money and what if it all went wrong? What if Matt and I split?

My head and my heart were battling against each other. Of course I wanted to marry him; I'd love him through thick and thin and would always be there for him. But my rational side was being realistic. There was so many problems and obstacles with this plan. Although, they say love conquers all.

I had made my decision. I was about to speak when Matt cut me off.

"Dana."

"Yeah?"

"Dana."

"What?"

"Danaaaaaaa," he called before slapping me in the face.

My eyelids flickered open and I sat bolt upright, crashing into Matt's head that was looking down over me.

"Ow!" he recoiled, holding a hand to his head.

It had hurt me too but I had other things to worry about.

"You weren't going to ask me to marry you, were you?" I said, really quickly.

"No, why?"

"I had a crazy dream that you asked me to marry you!"

Matt laughed.

I looked around, looking for the others.

"Where is everyone?" I asked.

"Dana, it's one am. They went home ages ago," Matt answered.

"Oh. I didn't realise that I'd been asleep for so long," I yawned.

"C'mon," Matt said, getting up and brushing the sand off him. "It's way after both our schools curfew. We'd better get you back to Mayfield High."

"No!" I protested. "I don't wanna go back. It's not home. I wanna stay with you, at St. Cecilia's. That's my home."

"You can't. You've just woken up, so you're not thinking straight. You have to go back to Mayfield, they'll be looking for you."

"No, I'm staying with you!"

"Alright then," Matt sighed, but I saw a sneaky smile spread across his face.