Where There's a Will, There's a Way.

The doctor returned from the room, with his head lowered solemnly, staring intently at a clipboard in his hand.

"Mr Renworth, these headaches you are experiencing cannot be described as minor..." he began, barely looking Will in the eyes.

"What do you mean?!" Will questioned, rising abruptly from his chair.

"Sir, please sit down- you'll need the comfort of a chair when I tell you this," Will reluctantly lowered himself into the chair the doctor had gestured towards, and the doctor sat opposite, this time with eye-contact, "Mr Renworth, it is apparent you are, in fact, suffering with a brain tumour. I wish I could state otherwise, however," he leant back in the chair, resting his elbow on the back of it in a casual fashion, "...results don't lie..."

Each word the doctor said was emphasised, fragmented and lingered in Will's ears. When he was able to digest the information, Will plucked up the courage to speak again, as, with this illness, it could be the last thing he was to say.

"How serious is it?" The words were quiet with the tone of worry and spoken with haste, as if he wished to dismiss them as soon as he was able.

"I'm afraid to say, quite,"

Silence.

"Now, I would recommend surgery at this point and obviously, you'd want it to be done by someone you trust, yes?" The doctor had his back to Will- he was busy stroking some jars in a glass cabinet. They were filled with... well, Will didn't know. It seemed that that knowledge was only known to the doctor as he stared contently at them, finger resting on the cold glass, with lust in his eyes.

"But of course," Will answered, still watching the doctor who, then, turned back and began drawing closer to Will with a confident stride.

"Now, I am qualified and capable to perform such an operation if you wish... it all boils down to trust. Can you trust me, Mr Renworth?" The doctor stood, leaning on one foot while the other was anxiously tapping, awaiting the reply. Will was hesitant to give one.

"It seems so, yes."

The tapping of the foot stopped.

"Excellent," the doctor replied, clapping and rubbing his hands together, "now just put this on and we can start right away!" he seemed so eager.

"What, really?" Will asked, taking the medical gown from the doctor's hand, bewildered, "Don't I need an appointment?"

"Sir! You cannot simply wait and ignore a tumour- it will develop and spread! Now come, you want your heart to continue beating, yes? You want to be kind to that poor ol' heart of yours, yes?"

"...yes..." the doctor placed a hand on Will's shoulder.

"...And so, do I" he shot a crooked smile and, with that, disappeared into the hospital corridors, with Will trailing not far behind him.

The hallways of the hospital were painted in one shade of white. The corridors were pale and dead as not another living soul was in sight.

Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap.

The doctor led the way, his footsteps echoing through the desolate halls. He continued referring to his watch and then walking faster, looking at his watch and walking faster. Then glancing back to see the silhouette of Will and then turning back to glimpse at his watch yet again. In the doctor's haste, Will slowly was getting left behind. The doctor got frustrated by this, stopped walking and started striding back to Will in irritation.

"Come on! It needs to be removed and quickly!" cried the doctor, gripping Will's wrist and dragging him along the corridor.

"What, the tumour?" At these words, the doctor slowed down slightly.

"Um, yes... of course I mean the tumour! What else?" The doctor, once he said the sentence, picked up the pace again and pulled Will into the surgery room.

"How long will the recovery process be?" Will asked.

"Oh, you don't need to worry yourself with that at this point..." The doctor smiled in the dim light.

It was dark in the surgery room, apart from the one blinding lamp overhead of the operation table. The doctor gestured Will to the table and Will, with uncertainty, lay down. He pondered the situation slightly and sat up and began to question the doctor.

"Are you sure I don't need an appointment? I know you're not exactly busy but I can come back at any time necessary and, besides, there must be someone with a more severe case compared to mine that needs attending to." Will started to swing his legs off of the table but the doctor placed a hand on his torso and pushed him down so he was lying once again.

"Nonsense, sir. You are a severe case, one that must be sorted as soon as possible and NOW is when it's necessary. You said yourself that you would prefer for me to perform such an operation, so here I am to attend to you, now stay." Will doubted the doctor's abilities.

"Are you sure you are able to treat such a case?"

"Now, what kind of a question is that? I am 100% sure of my capabilities. I only wish to treat you- you are only young- you cannot make this decision on your own so I have made it for you, lie down, relax, go to sleep," the doctor instructed.

"Why are you so eager to operate?" The doctor wasn't listening; he was occupying himself with a tray of metal medical instruments.

"...well, you're not going to be waking up are you..." the doctor mumbled.

"I beg your pardon?" Will asked. The doctor turned around and faced his patient, looking down in an intimidating stance.

"Mr Renworth, I only have to say that I have my best interest at your heart."

"I think you mean, you have my best interest at your heart," remarked Will. The doctor chuckled, stroking a scalpel.

"No, sir. I said what I meant and I meant what I said. Now hold still, this won't hurt one bit..."