21.) Wanting a change

OMNISCIENT

"Please don't! Plea—." Boom. Boom. Boom

Jumping out of her sleep for the third night in a row, Skylar sat up placing her feet on the floor and ran her hands down her face exhaustedly as her body dripped with sweat.

She's been out of the hospital for three days and lately, it's been feeling like her nightmares just kept getting worse.

Sighing she looked over at August seeing he was out for the night.

She refused to wake him, it's all she's been doing for the last few days and she could see how exhausted he was starting to look.

Burying her face in her hands she closed her eyes trying to clear her mind.

"Stupid bitch!"

Jumping at the flashback she stood up slowly and quietly left out the room.

Wiping her eyes, she slowly walked the dark hall ignoring the pain she felt throughout her body.

Sitting on the steps slowly, she scooted down each one carefully since she felt pain every time she tried to take a step.

Once she reached the last step she used the wall to stand and slowly limped into the living room and made her way into the kitchen.

Opening the fridge she grabbed her cup of water and leaned against the counter and drunk it.

"All you have to do is tell us who he is."

"I don't know."

"What's his name?" "I do— no! Stop! Please!"

The sounds of the hits startled her and she dropped her glass causing it to shatter as it hit the tile.

"What are you doing?" August asked cutting the light on and rubbed his eye half awake but she was seeing the guy's face and backed up slowly.

"Stay away from me." She said backing up and August frowned. "Huh? Skylar, it's me." He said taking a step and she screamed trying to move quicker but ended up tripping over the water and before she could fall back he caught up.

"Sky it's me." He said shaking her when she shielded her face with shaky hands.

"It's me ma." He spoke in a softer tone and she slowly lowered her hands and stared at him and her eyes grew glossy and her bottom lip began to tremble.

Pulling her into him he sat down on the kitchen floor and held her as she cried.

He knew her nightmares were bad but he didn't know they've gotten this bad.

He wished there was a way he could take away her pain.

AUGUST
The next day

"I don't like seeing her like dis," Nell said as we stood in the doorway staring at Skylar. She was sitting on the window pane just staring out.

"I don't know what ta do... I wanna go out and off every nigga in sight but I know dats not what she would want." I told him leaning against the wall.

"Just be here for her, she lost her parents, got shot at with us then was kidnapped and beat on and tossed around like she was a rag doll or some shit. Dats a lot of shit she has to digest." He explained.

"What do you think Mel would want you to do?" He asked and I stared at her for a while. "Protect her," I answered.

"I think you know how." He said patting my back and I sighed. "It's not furnished tho," I told him.