What Are You Doing Here?

"No, I think I'll just stay here. I don't feel like getting in trouble this close to graduation," I said as I shut my locker door.

"Alright, well if you change your mind, text me," Jade said. "Let's bust out of here." And with that, Jade, Zach, and Justin walk away down the hallway to meet Avery in the parking lot.

Thankfully, the day goes by faster than it normally does on a Monday. Besides there being a petty girl fight that got broken up before it even started, nothing interesting happened today. I was more than ready to get home, listen to music, and relax in the comfort of my bed. I know Avery and Jade had a good skip day. I saw all their antics on their Snapchats, and I truly don't feel like I missed out on too much.

The final bell rang as I was gathering my things from geometry class to go home. I pulled my ear buds out of my backpack and listened to "Wait" by Maroon 5 as I walked to my car. I went out the double doors, which led to the student parking lot, and I heard someone say my name.

"Chelsea?"

I turn around and see it was Gavin. He was sitting in his car and seemed to be waiting on someone to come out of the school.

"Oh, hey Gavin." I greeted. "What are you doing here?"

"Creeping on some more high school girls that like to get drunk then decide they want to drive home", He said with a smug look on his face.

I roll my eyes, "Okay, in my defense, I was drunk! I didn't exactly have the best thought process at the time."

"I know, I know. I'm just messing with you. I'm here picking up my sister. She's a freshman."

"Oh, cool". There was a long awkward pause. "Well, I'm going to go ahead and go to my- "

"Wait. I wanted to ask you this on Saturday, but I wanted a sober response, rather than a drunken one. I was going to see if Mason could somehow get your number for me, but this works out a lot better. And this might be a little straight forward, but would you like to go out sometime? Tonight, perhaps?" Gavin asked, as he fidgeted with his fingers and have a nervous tone to his voice.

Oh God, I thought as my hands started sweating. "Uhm, yeah sure, why not. Where were you thinking?"

"Wanna go see a movie? I'm buying." He suggested.

"Yeah, sure. I've actually wanted to go see The Incredibles 2", I said with a nod.

He smiled. Fuck, that smile. "Great.", he said as he handed me his phone. I put my number in, and he sent me a text, so I would have his. I smile at him and say goodbye.

I continue my short journey to my car and as I sit down in the driver's seat and start the engine, Jade sends me a text.

Jade: Hey, wanna meet all of us at Moe's for a burrito?

Chelsea: Can't. Have a date with Gavin...

In nearly 5 seconds flat, Jade calls me and puts me on speaker phone. Her and Avery were freaking out. For no reason, I thought. They said they wanted to come over and help me get dressed and do my hair for me. I reluctantly agreed, mainly because I know if they weren't there to force me to go, I may chicken out. Truthfully, I've never been on a real date, so I didn't know what to expect. I've gotten invited to parties by Justin, but I'm not sure if I would consider that a real "date".

I reach my house, and as I pull in my driveway, my phone vibrates.

Gavin: Pick you up at 6?

Chelsea: Don't you need my address?

Gavin: Nope, you drunken goofball.