Chapter Fifteen

Hey everyone, I hope your past two weeks have been going well. I can't believe I am almost done with this story. There are exactly three chapters left to upload and that includes the epilogue so this'll definitely be done before the new year starts. After that I will be spending my time writing some newer stories so I may not be on here as much for a little while, but feel free to pm me if you have any questions or just wanna talk. I'm always available that way. 

This week is insane for me. Today, I have to register for my classes for winter term, and The Crown, season three is being released as well. I've been watching non-stop Disney+ since it was released but I may have to hop back over to Netflix so I can watch The Crown later today. Also on Friday, Frozen II is being released. Not only that though but a good friend and co-worker of mine is having her baby on Friday. Like I said, this week is gonna be insane for me. 

Now I just wanna say, I am sorry for this chapter. It was very hard for me to write, but I'm sure it'll be even harder for you guys to read. In all honesty though, I've known this would happen before I even wrote the first chapter, so it was always going to be the end game. Hope you guys don't hate me too much for this one. If you do then I think the epilogue will surely make up for it. 

That's it for now, but I'll try to upload again in a few weeks. 

~*~*~

Chapter Fifteen

Two weeks later, Kendall was startled awake in the middle of the night due to the ringing of her cell phone. She cringed at the loud noise and lazing threw her hand toward her nightstand where her cell phone sat plugged into the charger. Her hand fumbled around for a moment until her fingers wrapped around the cold metal. She opened her eyes a crack and saw an unknown number on the screen.

She groaned. Usually she's the type of person who refuses to answer calls coming from unknown numbers, but right now she was too tired to remember or care. She swiped her thumb across the screen and mumbled tiredly, "Hello?"

"Hi, uh is this Kendall?" The voice on the other side was female. That brought some relief. At least with a woman on the other end its less likely to be a serial killer or a stalker.

Kendall rolled over from her stomach and onto her back. She blinked forcing herself awake. "Yes. Who is this?"

"It's Alicia, Carol's granddaughter." She sat up in bed. A bad feeling formed in the pit of her stomach. She could feel herself grow pale as the realization hit her. There is only one reason Alicia would have to call her at 2 in the morning. . . Her eyes widened.

"What's going on? Is Carol okay?" She asked immediately.

On the other end of the phone, Alicia took a deep breath and sniffed. "No, she's not. My grandma, she's uh . . . She took a turn for the worst last night. Her doctors are saying that she most likely won't survive until morning. Kendall, she would really like you to be here."

Without hesitation, she told her, "I'll be there as soon as I can."

Hanging up the phone, she was momentarily frozen. Was this really happening? Was the moment she had been dreading for weeks, years even, finally coming to pass? Shaking her head, Kendall forced those thoughts out of her head. She wasn't even at the retirement home yet. She had to at least wait until she was in front of Carol for the emotion to hit her.

She climbed out of bed and rushed to the dresser at the far side of the room. She quickly changed out of her sleep clothes and into a pair of yoga pants and her dance team sweatshirt. She threw her hair into a bun and hastily threw on her shoes. She was so busy trying to lace them and collect her things at the same time, several times she nearly face planted on the floor. Finally, after lacing her shoes correctly, Kendall collected her phone and keys before running out the door. She collected her bike from Jess' family's garage and rode it across town as fast as she could.