Chapter One- My Friend

Chapter One

 My Friend 

     As the final bell ranged throughout the halls of Governor Gaon High School, students hastily filled their backpacks, as though it was the end of the school year, with numerous amount of books. Most of the students quickly exited the building, leaving the halls with nothing more than echoes of the departed. The remaining spent their time at the school's library familiarizing themselves with the up coming exams that was slowly and dreadfully approaching. Out of the few students sitting together either studying or chatting, there was one boy who sat alone with mountains of books neatly piled on his table. He had hazel greenish-brown eyes that were focused on his calculus book, satiny jet black hair, and pretended not to be listening to a conversation three girls were having near a table next to him. 

     "What a loser," said one of the girls who had silky blonde hair, a body with the perfect hour glass; however, it did not compliment her abnormal scanty mammary glands.

     "All he does is study," said the girl who sat in the middle. "I guess that explains why he's so skinny. Anyways, he will never make any friends if he keeps his face buried in books everyday."

     The girl on the right put her pencil down and joins in on the conversation, " I still can't believe he got into this high school." She looked at her friends, who suddenly had faces of disbelief, and said, " Well, I know you have to be smart. We barely got in ourselves, but a loser like that shouldn't be allowed in school." Governor Gaon High School was a very difficult school to enroll in. Anyone having a GPA below a 3.5 will be rejected or unquestionably dismissed if it drops throughout the school year. Dov Gaon was the dean of the school. His ancestors built the school and today he makes sure that the generation lives on. Despite being the dean, he was a spiteful person, cruel to those who weep, and enforces the strictest rules imaginable. Students and half the faculty disliked the dean for this very reason. "Whatever, I'm hungry. Let's go get some munchies." All three placed their books in their backpacks and left the library's books on the table for the librarian to deal with. 

     The boy tried desperately to hold back his tears. He knew that a man should not cry from insignificant words; bad or good tears are never to be shed from pointless words. He too gathered his belongs, but placed the library's books back to their proper area. As he put away Anatomy and Physiology College Addition, the librarian spotted him and approached him. "Thank you so much for putting the books back, Eitan. You even put away the books those kids left." He looked around and discovered that he was the only teenager in the room. After scrutinizing the room, he looked at the delicate, frail, lady that stood before him. Eitan couldn't really comprehend it, but he felt that she was somewhat of a grandmother to him. "You're a sophomore, right? Your mother must be happy to have such a strong, growing, boy."

     "Yes, I am," he said. "I have to go now."

     Eitan laid in his bed staring at his wood fiber white ceiling for quite some time. Too much noise was coming from downstairs and across his bedroom; undoubtedly the noise was being created by his mother, who was preparing dinner, and from his older, rambunctious, brother. Eitan couldn't help, but feel remorse for his mother. He stood upright and wiped away the tear that slowly slid down his face. Finally coming to a decision to go downstairs, he made his way down and saw her standing near the sink with a glass of red wine in her hand remaining aloof. "Mom," said Eitan. Aghast with the sound of her son's voice, she expeditiously poured out the wine and ineffectively tried to hide the half empty bottle. "It's okay, mom," being completely reasonable. He stared at her abhorrent dark rings underneath her melancholy pupils, doubtlessly he could tell from her thin face she had missed a few meals, but acting as though he didn't notice he said, "Do you need any help?"