Reckless Abandon - Part Three

Please Take Me Home

-

Chapter Eleven

-

Reckless Abandon - Part Three

-

Side Effects Marijuana Can Have On The Body:

Immediate Effects:

Confusion

Altered thinking and memory

Anxiety

Mild paranoia

Altered vision

Reddened/bloodshot eyes

Reduced coordination and balance

Higher Doses:

Restlessness

Excitement

Decreased reaction time

Detachment from reality

Hallucinations

Vivid dreams...

-

Michael and Luke were looking at each other. They were both focused on one another. Green eyes met blue.

Both of the boys were lying down on Luke's bed. They had all the time in the world.

"You don't care if I am, do you?" Michael's voice was clam and relaxed, it was like he wasn't scared at all.

Luke gazed at the other boys face, his eyes slowly, taking their time, studying Michael from every angle.

Michael watched Luke's lips move but he couldn't hear the words that came out.

He looked around and saw that Luke's room was slowly fading away. Luke was now looking at him, attention full but it wasn't really him. He was shouting at Michael now but Michael couldn't make out any words.

Michael felt his heart rate increase. This wasn't reality. He felt the cold wash of fear drown him. Michael wasn't relaxed anymore.

Michael wrapped himself into the foetal position and willed himself to wake up, over and over again he tried until he felt his body relax and everything around him went black.

***

It's not like Michael expected anything to be real. After the hit he had gotten the previous night, he didn't expect anything to be real. He didn't even find it surprising when he woke up on the concrete pavement, in a dark dank alleyway that smelt like the homeless.

When Michael stirred awake, sat up and brushed the little stones that he had caught on his face off, he realized how low his life was.

...Who was he, really?

...Was he just some junkie?

Michael had no aspirations, no desires, no hopes, and no dreams. All he was, all he would be was a teenage tragedy with a drug addiction and a broken heart...he wasn't anything compared to the scale of the universe, really. He was nothing is the grand scheme of things. Life was meaningless.

***

Michael didn't show up to school for a week. A week turned into a term and a term turned into the better part of the year.

Luke had given up with expecting to see Michael around the corner. He had given up with expecting him to pop-up in random places like the CD store or around the school.