Aftermath - Chapter one: The New Face

Chapter One:

The New Face

The result of WW III affected all humans on earth. It destroyed their homes, and killed their families. Families separated on the land, from east to west, from south to north. Humankind was in its lowest place.

However, the story begin with Max. A father of two daughters, and a husband of a beautiful wife. Unfortunately, war pulled this family apart completely. Max’s family died on the first day of the war as their city was the first place the enemy stroke with a nuclear missile. Max’s family lived in the capital for almost 20 years happily. But due to the claustrophobic war they never lived longer except him.

Max lift the capital when the war ended. hoping to find a new life, a new place to be. So he planned to travel to the west of the state to live in Independence, as he heard that they are starting to sort things out. The distance is very long and filed with herders and Bandits. A 109 miles trip is no easy trip its a death sentence.

Therefore, Max gathered his stuff to leave his city. He picked 4 bottles of water, a handgun, knife, can-food, and a travel tent. The city Max he lift was in a ugly condition. There is no one to protect the people, and everyday rebels kills them if they don’t work for them. fiding up is a right to do in these conditions. You don’t want to live in a place were you treated as a slave. So, in the night when Max was prepared to leave, he said goodbye to everyone he cared about in this damned city. He tried to convince some people to accompany him to leave to Independers, but they were too afraid the rebels catch them and kill them. Also, they said he crazy to leave, because it so dangerous out there. But Max didn’t listen to them and lift.

The beginning of the journey was easy, as he lift the city safely to across the ex-capital city borders. But still he have 90 miles to finish. The topography of this area is full of forest and mountains. Therefore, it made the trip more difficult to accomplish. So when Max started to be more and more away from his home, the more the problems comes. Max started to run out of water, there are a little of canned-food, and no place to rest on.

However, at one night he decided to rest for a while to see where he has been. Max made the tent and went inside. He pulled out a map from his backpack to see where he is. But, he couldn’t located where he is, looking at the sky to figure out where the hell is he. He looked left and right, nothing but just bunch of trees. Darkness came and stole the lightness of the sun of him. He went inside the tent again. Searching for his flask to drink water, but he noticed that the bottle was almost less than half.

“I’m running out of water, …. , God damn it!” Max said. “ I need to hurry up before its too late”.

Max continued his journey, going to the unknown. As he was walking, suddenly he heard a gun sounds. He rapidly hide into the bushes to be safe from whatever is fighting.

“What the hell is going on? who is fighting in this area?” Max said.

After about one hour there was no more shooting sounds. Max hesitated to go out to see what happened fearing that they find him. The fear started to eat his thoughts, and made him lost. But, after a while a thought  came to Max’s mind as oracle. He thought if he could track the people who was fighting to figure out where he is. So he started to fallow them to where they are going.

Unfortunately, he lost track. And lost again. Max started to lose hope as there is no more water, no more food, and no more energy to keep going on. So, he laid down as it was the last time he will sleep. However, When he was sleeping he heard some noises far in the other side, both left and right. “ Who is there? show your self” Max yelled. He heard it again. He pulled his gun out. Pointing to nothing. He started to freeze in his place. And finally the stringer revealed himself. It was a female wolf. “A wolf ?” Max says. Another wolf showed. It was a trap, it was a pack of wolves. Max pointed the gun to each wolf moves. It was the real fare, but in the real fare situation comes with it a real bravery. The mother growled. And Max shooted her without thinking. And that triggered them to attack him. Max Shooted them randomly to get out of this situation. He managed to kill three of them out of five. The other two ran away from him. Max was lucky because he has no more bullets in his gun. He didn't know that.

So after the conflict, Max continued his way to the Indepeneders. With no water, food or a gun to protect himself. Demotivation hitted Max conscience. He started to feel dry, hungary and unsafe. Moreover, things seems to be more bad for Max. The next half hour, the other two wolves who survived the conflict attacked Max again. This time it was in front of an abandoned gas station. When Max saw them, he surrendered to fate, letting these monsters to get him. So, the first one bite his leg to enable him from moving. Max pulled his knife and stabbed the wolf in his eyes. But the other one bite him in the other lage. Max fail in the ground. Looking at the sky, remembering his family. As he closed his eyes, a two perfect shots hit the first wolf, the wolf is dead. The other wolf ran away. Max was bleeding out so fast. He opened his eyes and saw what he think is a girl holding a rifle. And then he pass out.

The group brought out Max to their city, Old Foxies. They cleaned him, took care of him, and accepted him. The next morning, Max woke up to find himself in a hospital bed. He looked around and saw things that he didn't saw for ten years, care. He saw the kindness of the humnes. Max never felt happy and safe as thin much since when he was with his family. Suddenly, a man with one eye showed up, and said “ A new face! welcome” with a smile. Max smiled at him. And the girl showed up along with the group who saved him. “So, we feed you we took care of you, would you spoke to me who sent you?” One eyed man said. Max was surprised.

To be continued...