Town of Bitterness

Have you ever been so used to the abstract, that everything seems normal?

Growing up in a small town, Alanna never really knew that it was unusual to have more bars than any other type of establishment in a city. Her town had three elementary schools, one junior high, and one high school. There was also one university, a myriad of shops, and nineteen bars. You could barely walk one block in the downtown area without seeing a bar. She never thought of it until she became older, and started visiting places other than her own.

Although it wasn't widely discussed, and a fairly taboo subject, quite a large portion of the town either did or dealt drugs, if not both. It wasn't uncommon to walk into a shop,  notice a skunk-like or putrid smell, and  see the shopkeeper emerge with sunglasses on. Even restaurants were used. Stories of waitresses doing cocaine off of the bar after hours were told by no one, and yet everyone knew them.

Despite the closeted problems, it was a pleasant town. It had tight-knit communities, a decent university, and picturesque scenery. Snowy mountains marked the west, 

Although most people didn't know it, there were quite a few gang  wars. Drugs and sex ruled the town. No one was safe, and nothing was sacred.