Chapter 5

Chapter 5

This was incredibly peaceful. Sitting by the lake, leaning against Alexander as he ran his hand up and down my arm. After lunch we stopped at the hotel to check-in before coming to the lake. Despite their divorce, Alexander's parents aren't on awful terms so they agreed to have dinner together with us at Alexander's old house where his dad still lives. I knew Alex needed some time to mentally prepare to see his parents for the first time in years and honestly I did too. I was kind of worried what they'd think of me, I mean they loved me as Alexis, but they don't know I'm still her. All they will see when I walk in is a twenty-two year old girl hooked on the arm of their thirty-nine year old son.

"What are you thinking about?" Alex asks me.

"Just wondering what your parents will think when we walk through the door..." I drag off keeping my gaze on the water.

Alex's hand stops moving on my arm and I pull back so I can turn and look at him. He looks lost in thought. I place a hand on his cheek and he blinks, looking at me. "Don't worry about that. It doesn't matter."

"To me it does. They're your parents Alexander, I would like them to like me," I insist.

He shakes his head. "We have plenty of time to worry about my parents later. Let's talk about something else."

I sigh, but let it go. "What do you want to talk about?"

As soon as I ask that his whole demeanor does a one eighty, becoming excited. "When do you want to get married?"

I smile at his eagerness. "I told you whenever you want."

"Okay well I want to marry you soon, like within the next few months soon. I'd like a summer wedding. I mean if you want that..." He looks as if he's trying to reel in his excitement and I let out a giggle. I like seeing him this happy. Even if it's kind of strange that someone could be so happy talking about marrying me.

"A summer wedding sounds perfect. What else would you like?" It seems he has thought about this a lot and seeing how delighted he was about the subject, I wanted to hear him talk some more about our wedding.

I feel a smile unconsciously form on my face as his eyes light up. "Well I always wanted to marry you right here, at our lake," he starts and I nod at him in encouragement to continue. "I want the whole big wedding, not necessarily with a lot of people, but I want the whole experience. Seeing you in a white gown with all our friends and family watching. A party afterwards, so I can show off my new wife. Then we can go on a honeymoon anywhere you want to go," he is staring into the distance imagining it all and I can't help, but picture it as well.

I feel my chest clench when I think back to that day in his classroom all those years ago when he was describing the life he wished he could have had with me, but at the time I thought we could never have together. Yeah we could obviously never graduate and go to school together like we were supposed to, but there are still some things we could do, like get married.

"You've thought a lot about this, haven't you?" I ask him.

His eyes move back to mine and I can't seem to distinguish the look in them. "You have no idea. I used to think about what could have been all the time. I'd play out scenarios in my head that I knew would never happen, but somehow they can now. Somehow the universe gave me a second chance, gave us a second chance. It's just crazy to wrap my head around sometimes."

"I feel that way all the time. But despite not understanding why I am the way I am I couldn't be happier to get this second chance with you," I smile at him.