Chapter 2

Alex swore softly again as another glob of engine oil leaked from the oil tank and landed on his formerly white singlet. He dragged his muscular frame further up and readjusted the mat which he lay on. Consoling himself, he dragged himself upwards and tried to locate the loose knot. It was a little bit difficult as his muscular frame cramped the under of the truck.

        He didn’t mind, as far as he got away from the mansion. The people inside had had the common sense enough to get the unspoken message to stay away from the garage.                                     

                 The last time he’d made the mistake of going inside, it’d been like a circus which had contrasted sharply with the usual seclude of the place. There were people everywhere he looked, so he’d fled to the side of the house where no one was. At least for now. The garage had provided a little peace and quiet and most importantly, the silence he craved. The only sound for miles was the voice of the reporter on the radio. Alex could put up with that. Plus there were a few perks, being that he got to work on one of his favorite cars and he was physically working, something he’d been itching to do since the past week. Another dark glob splattered against his chest.

“Crap”

Alex looked down. The singlet was ruined forever. He made a mental note to get rid of it before Margaret saw it and lectured him. And if Margaret knew that he’d been under a car, she’d definitely lecture him. He didn’t mind it one bit, in fact a part of him always warmed when Margaret played mother to him. He adjusted the lamp which illuminated the under of the car and stretched his long limbs out, leaving only his upper half under the truck.

    The reporter announced that the time was two O’ clock. He frowned. He wanted to be out of the mansion before evening. He sighed and concentrated on screwing the loose nut.

********************************************

Beverly couldn’t believe how well the day was going. Even though she was almost dead on her feet and in dire need of a cup of coffee, she was convinced that it was worth it. Amanda had been like nothing she expected. Bubbly and friendly were not usually words that she associated with the elite. Now she wondered if she’d been unfair to judge.

     The wedding was scheduled to hold next week and she was certain that they could pull it off. The bride had confided in her that she was tired of the usual elaborate and vain weddings which were common in the Upper East Side; hence the call to K&C. Beverly was glad for the chance. She was totally sure that this was the break for her mother’s pet company which she now ran. The groom was flying in from France tomorrow. Beverly had immediately called Kate, her best friend and assistant to come over to the mansion. They’d sat down with the bride and discussed budgets and other plans. It was still the hugest budget by far that Beverly had worked with, but she wasn’t prepared to let that slip. Kate had arranged a spa treatment for the couple and their bride maids and best men a day before the wedding. The wedding was taking place in the garden that occupied the whole west of the mansion. Amanda had given them a tour of the house and then left them in the hands of Margaret, the cheerful housekeeper that ran the house.

The tour had lasted almost an hour and then Amanda left to see her maid of honor. That was three hours ago. Beverly and Kate had been running around since then making arrangements and plans. The only thing Beverly had to do before leaving and returning to the office was to check the garden out. It didn’t help that her feet were already numb in the mini heels that she wore. They’d seemed a great idea that morning but now, Beverly was trying not to regret it. They certainly weren’t the shoes for garden walking. Kate had already left an hour ago to make some calls.