onze

Some things were hard to face when presented to you so swiftly and without any sort of fluffy filling to soften the blow. Marion was reluctant to respond to the invitation delivered to her home one early morning.

She knew that it was going to arrive, the day in which Rosalie would send the invite for the wedding that she was determined to see through and Marion couldn't really blame her, not for wanting to ensure that she lived a happy life. It was the norm for the time, and if it had been later in the future, perhaps they would have been lucky enough to be allowed to be together.

Holding the invite like it was something precious yet burning to the touch, Marion brought the delicately printed lace lined paper to her family that sat reading towards the back of the home, hidden from the sun by a high porch shadowing the window of the simply decorated dinning room. It wasn't much, the expensive things hidden away in trucks and cabinets to keep them from breaking - a lesson Marion had learned many times before from when they got hyper and broke anything that got in their way in their spontaneous 'adventures'. She placed the paper down gently, as though scared it would get ruined, and allowed the two to inspect it for themselves, the results instantaneous in the way Hugo was at her side in a moment acting the role of older brother as her daughter fumed silently to herself.

"Maman, I will snap her neck if it pleases you! No, no, no, I will pour red wine over her dress the day before her wedding, ruin the entire thing when it is trop tards to correct!" Estelle cried rather passionately, fingers twitching with the urge to do something against the human girl.

Marion, for her part, believed she had stayed rathe calm and collected throughout the entire affair, giving them the time to get their wits about them and calm down before she spoke up.

"That will hardly be necessary, sweetheart. She had a life once before we had even arrived, and it will continue after we leave as well," Marion explained, placing a hand on the cheeks of her family with a loving smile as she tried to express her feelings to them, willing them to make peace with it as she had - or at least pretended to because could a vampire ever be at peace knowing that her mate choice another? The French woman wasn't certain but she could allow her family to think so for the sake of their experience in New York. "I am hardly in danger now of doing something foolish when so much time had already passed between us."

"Sister, I believe you are in more danger than ever of making the human girl fall in love with than ever before," Hugo exclaimed, the French ringing through the home so loudly that it was possible even for the neighbours to hear.

She didn't move to silence him, the burst of happiness that she felt at his optimistic nature always worked wonders at raising her spirits and washing away the negativity that settled within her core.

"But the woman would continue to torment you with dress shopping that she will sure to invite you to," Estelle snapped, baring her teeth in an angry snarl at the mere idea.

Marion shook her head. "It was my fault for volunteering my assistance. I will not revoke my words regardless of the outcome. I am not so careless a person as to give my promises without the intent of seeing them through."

"But maman, you cannot expect to go and not feel distressed at the prospect of seeing her prepare herself for someone else," Estelle whined, eyeing her mother helplessly.

"It is not so sad that I will go so far as to say distressed, sweetheart. It is more a matter of being more concerned for her happiness and less for an awaited sadness," Marion argued, hoping to end the conversation quickly sad that she may broached the next subject, one destined to be just as delicate as the previous.

The girl huffed, always the temperamental type, and turned away with a pout. Frowning at her daughter's displeasure, Marion wished to lighten the girl's mood, to ease her daughters mind with reassuring words but did not know the way to lighten the burden of the girl.