Part One, Chapter Five

"You're different."

Marinette didn’t know what to say. This boy, whoever he was under the mask, he was hurting. She couldn’t do anything about it but wrap her arms around him in a friendly, supportive hug. She slid her silver bracelet from her father and mother so many years ago into his shaking tanned hand. Eyes stinging from the threat of teardrops, she whispered into his ear, blonde hair tickling her mouth.

“Chat, I don’t know who you are, but I promise, I will find you in this school. It’s going to be okay. I’m here for you.

“You’re not alone in this world anymore, Chaton.”

He saw her honesty and sincerity through his tears, and gave her a hug like a small child hugging an adult. She reached down and ran her hand through his golden hair, almost like comforting a small kitten. Chat Noir looked up at his lady, broke free of her, and faced Ladybug with a perfect smile. He said,

“I know I can trust you.”

And took off his mask, slowly revealing himself.

Adrien Agreste stood in front of Marinette, black suit and all. He still held Marinette’s lucky charm bracelet in his right hand, clinking against his ring. Adrien’s green eyes struck Marinette hard.

Everything from the night came back to her, as she danced with the masked boy, the things he said, opening up to a total stranger… All this time, it was him, it was Adrien Agreste, this flawless, perfect model. It was Adrien this whole time.

The clock struck 12:00. Midnight.

The Magic is Lost at Minuit.

Marinette Dupain-Cheng stood up, quickly. She ran, accidentally leaving her bracelet in his open, exposed hands.

She didn’t remember that she was gripping his black gloves tight against her chest as she ran back to the convertible, already transforming back into her old self.

She didn't remember looking back at him, with Adrien calling after her.

Wait, please, it's okay! Ladybug, please.

She just remembered running, running before she transformed back. Reddish- Pink magic swirled out from her dress, and before she knew it, she was back in the car, slamming the door shut, and de-transformed into plain old Marinette.

The magic was lost…