PRAETORIAN CAMP

The next morning, Voracio and Narius passed through the Viminal Gate on the city wall and into the suburb where the Praetorian camp has been constructed during the reign of Tiberius. A light rain was falling and formed puddles in the expanse of the parade ground that stretched from the city walls to the camp. They strode across the open space to the main gate and presented themselves to the Optio on watch in the guard house, he was a short, well built man with nearly trimmed hair that had receded some way. Narius and Voracio lowered their sack and yokes as both of them stood in attention . The water dripped from the hem of their cloaks.

" Well, well what do we have here?" The Optio asked good naturedly.

Narius reached into his sack bag, drew out the scrolls of documents appointing them to the Praetorian Guard and handed it to the Optio. " Transfer from the Fourteenth Legion, Sir. Legionaries of Titus Ovadius Cicero and Caius Alea Zenious. We've been appointed to the guard."

" Oh, really? Magnus and Voracio? Sounds like a bloody lizard double act." The optio took the flattened scroll and unravelled it. He quickly scanned the document and looked up. " It say here,'for meritorious conduct in field.'Did you two take on the barbarian army by yourselves then?"

Narius felt a savage desire to tear a strip off the Optio, then he suppressed the impulse. They were in the mission and needed to behave accordingly. " No, Optio."

" No, then I'd like to know what you two heroes did that warrants a transfer to the Praetorian Guard. But that'll have to wait." He looked round then and pointed to one of the men standing by the gate." You! Over here!"

The praetorian came trotting up and stood to attention, Voracio glanced at him.He was young, barely out of his teens. Like the Praetorians who had briefly appeared during the early stages of the campaign in Britannia, he wore an off - white tunic and Cape. Beneath the cape glinted a vest of scale armour of the same issue that some legionaries still favoured. The rest of his kit sword, dagger, boots, groin guard, and helmet were standard issue. Only he shield was different, oval rather than the rectangular design used in the legions. A large scorpion decorated the front. The symbol had been chosen by a previous prefect, Sejanus, to flatter his master, Emperor Tiberius, who was born under the star sign.

The optio folded the scroll, and handed it back at Narius. " Escort these two men to headquarters, See who the Centurion is in charge of recruiting. Take them to him."

" Yes, sir."

" Off you go, lads . oh, and welcome to the Praetorian. You'll find it somewhat different to life in the legions."

" Yes, thank you, Sir." Voracio nodded.

Both of them followed the Praetorian out of the guards house and into the shelter of the arched gateways waited until they had their bags comfortably positioned and then set off down the wide avenue leading into the heart of the Praetorian camp either side were two storey barracks which ran back from each side of the route for a hundred paces. The plaster covering the walls was clean and looked to have been painted recently. In the same way the paved road had no litter and was obviously swept regularly.

" You run a tidy camp." Narius said.

" Oh, that's down to Antonius." The younger Praetorian replied ." He's a stickler for high standards. Keep us on our toes all right, surprise barrack inspections, calls for arms in the middle of the night and regular kit checks are the order of the day here, mate, don't know what thing's are like in the legions, but you'd best play it his way when you're here in Rome, or else."

Narius smiled cynically at the youth ." I take it you weren't transferred from legion."

" Me? No. Many of the lads are recruited from central Italy, what with the perks of the job it ain't easy getting in, but letter of recommendation from a magistrates usually swing it. Unfortunately i was a few years too late to quote for the donative the Emperor handed out when he took power. Five years ' pay
,that's what he gave each man! Bloody fortune. Still, Claudius ain't going to last forever and whoever comes next will have to cough up again, if they knew what's good for them."