Chapter 30

Chapter 30

"Luke!" I screamed through the rain, carelessly running in the street, falling down on my knees next to him. "Wake up! Luke, wake up!"

Tears of frustration were pouring out of my eyes, as I shook his body with all my strength, but he remained still. Blood was dripping through his hair from the injury on the side of his head. His hand was twisted in an unnatural, sickly way that it brought vomit to my mouth. There were multiple bruises on his forehead and cheeks, and probably all over his body. He just looked so...

Broken.

"What did you do?!" I yelled at the car in front of me. A man was inside, his mouth slightly open as he watched the terror that he had created. He hastily stumbled outside, swaying slightly.

"I'm so sorryyy..." He slurred, clearly drunk, and I stared at him in total disgust. "I'll call 91...um, what's the number?"

"911." I hissed, sneering at him. "Just call it."

The man climbed inside his car once more to shield himself from the rain. I turned my attention back to Luke, feeling my heart shatter from his state.

"Hang in there, Luke." I pleaded, still pushing his chest, as if I was trying to wake him up from a light snooze. "If you're playing a joke on me, this isn't funny. Luke, this isn't funny! Wake up! Wake up, oh god, please wake up."

Choked tears were violently falling out of me, and I fell onto his chest, hugging him tightly, wanting more than ever for him to return the hug and hold me in his arms.

"Please, don't leave me, Luke. Please don't go." I whispered, as we stayed on the ground, the rain pummeling my body, just like Luke's blood pummeled my heart.

**

Waiting alone in a hospital hallway on New Years night with a soaked gown on, wasn't necessarily the best combination.

Annoyingly, I was constantly surrounded by happy parents, who were overjoyed that their baby was born on the 1st of January. I wasn't jealous, but I couldn't help but feel slightly bitter that they were gaining someone whereas I could possibly lose someone any moment now. And to top everything up, they came and announced their happiness to me, not even noticing the leaked mascara running down my face from the tears.

I had called Laura as soon as Luke was brought to the hospital, and her reaction wasn't pleasant either. She bursted out in tears the moment I announced the horrific news to her, and I was forced to talk to Jai. I had tried to avoid talking to him from the beginning, because how could I bring myself tell him that his twin brother could possibly be...dead? But, since Laura couldn't stop crying, she handed the call to Jai and after hearing what I had to say, he hung up the phone. I tried calling back, but no one answered.

Not that I blamed him; all of them must hate me right now. This was my fault after all. I'm the one that ran into the street, like a stupid, cowardice girl. I should be the one laying on a hospital bed now, not Luke.

A passing nurse strolled by me, and I hastily blocked her way. She halted back in sudden surprise, eyeing me curiously.

"Yes?" She asked, slightly annoyed at my way of stopping her. Her name tag read 'Jordan'.

"I'm here for Luke Brooks, it's been 4 hours since he was brought here and no one has told me anything!" I hysterically yelled, and the nurse's eyes turned soft.

"The doctors are examining his condition right now. I can't tell you much I'm afraid, since you're not immediate family, but he is in a very critical condition." Jordan stated, and gave me a slight squeeze on the shoulder. She went to walk off, but stopped halfway. "Excuse me for asking, but are you his girlfriend?"