*chapter twenty*

- A l y c e -

The milkshake parlour was one of my favourite places to be here in Sydney. Often when I had a big assignment I would come here for hours and go through about three milkshakes if not more. I loved the 1950’s American theme it had with black and white checked flooring and red booths. 

I spotted Luke almost instantly. He was sat by the window in one of the booths and by the looks of it already had ordered milkshakes. 

“Lukey” I called getting his attention. He turned around flashing a smile before I sat down.

On the table sat one chocolate and one strawberry both with two straws; this instantly made me smile. Recently the thought of something more with Luke was on my mind a lot. I’m not sure whether it was because Ashton had become so distant or spitting an argument at me every chance or because Luke was such a gentleman.

“Is it bad that I am so happy to see you?” He smiled taking my hand over the table and looking me right in the eyes.

He had put both of the milkshakes in the middle of the table but had totally hogged the chocolate milkshake which I was oddly okay with. Unlike most of the times I had spent with him he seemed on edge and a little bit shaky. Was he nervous or had one of the boys possibly said something to him?

“I’m happy to see you too” I gushed sipping the strawberry shake. 

Lucas Hemming’s definitely had the right idea when it came to milkshakes; ordering them with extra whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles. I beginning to think that he would be the perfect boyfriend, but then again that was what I did think about Ashton once we started getting to know each other. 

Despite meeting Ash at a party, once we were sober he did take me out on dates, mainly to cafe’s and once we went into the city centre. He always said that he hated movie dates because you can’t talk to each other.

“So how is Mr. Irwin, was he angry you were coming to see me?” Luke asked leaning forward on his arms.

He genuinely looked like he wanted a serious answer, though I don't blame him; I would want to know too.

“Well he thinks you hate me so was a bit confused as to why I was going out with you, but apart from that he was just sulking really” I chuckled crossing my arms on the table and leaning towards him.

Our faces were now centimetres apart and the temptation to kiss him right there was huge. We had never kissed or hugged affectionately in public mainly because technically I was dating Ashton.

“Oh really? I guess he can be quite oblivious. Sulking because of what?” Luke responded trying his best to hide his laughter.

“Sulking because he’s a bad boyfriend…I think he’s just annoyed at himself and now he is taking it out on me” I admitted looking down.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't bothered about Ashton’s behaviour but I refuse to let him play the victim even if his cousin did overdose. The truth is I do still love him, but that love is shrinking more and more each day where as my love for Luke was growing stronger hour by hour.

“I won’t lie he hasn't treated you the best, but who am I to judge? I wasn't exactly the nicest to you” He confessed staring into my eyes looking rather disappointed with himself. 

The things Luke had said to me I had put in the past, when he said those things to me we weren't anything to each other. He of course had since apologised. Where as Ashton is my boyfriend and the things that have left his mouth some people would call unforgivable. 

“Let’s just change the subject, I don't really want to talk about Ashton. I’ve done enough worrying and thinking about that boy to last a lifetime” I spoke placing one my hands on his.