XXIII

The air was still that day. I was sitting on the main steps, watching as Hank put the last piece of luggage into a black car.
There was a weird feeling stabbing at my chest. In the back of my mind I knew I was going to miss everything. But I was going home, now. I was going back to the only home I had ever known.
Yet my feet still were reluctant to leave the stone, the soft carpeting of the mansion, the lively grass, and the swaying trees. This place had been my hideaway—where a revelation hit me in the head in the night.
I am not alone.
My train of thought crashed as I heard my name called out in an accented voice. I peered up from the ground and saw Charles there, in his wheelchair.
"Professor," I greeted him.
"Are you leaving soon?"
"In a couple minutes, yes."
"Could I talk to you for a moment?"
"Of course."
"Come and take a stroll with me."
I jumped down from the steps and walked beside him. We headed down a pathway, back beyond the mansion and twisted around the corner to the main lawn. He stopped when we arrived at a glittering pond, full of blooming lotuses and pure white swans. The energy was bittersweet, an ironic mixture of sadness and great contentment. Charles just looked at the ground for a moment, then looked back up to me and stated,
"I'm very sorry."
My eyes went wide.
"What do you have to be sorry for?"
"I have dedicated my life to helping young mutants come to accept who they are. And in the time you were here I failed you."
"Professor I—"
"Truly. I should have never encouraged the mutation suppressant and I was too busy wallowing about in my own self-pity to be the mentor you deserved and for that I'm very sorry."
"Charles you were the one who took me in when I had nowhere else to go. I know you were going through a hard time, we all were. So really, thank you for everything."
"You know you're welcome back here anytime. Both you and Peter."
I smiled.
"I may just have to take you up on that offer eventually."
The two of us looked off into the water, and he told me as I stared at the vibrant pink petals of a fragrant lotus.
"Your powers are a gift. You're very strong, but most of all you're good-hearted. Should you find that you ever want to join us..."
My head turned to him.
"Are you implying what I think you're implying?"
"The X-men will need to reunite again, eventually. And I'm afraid we simply need the talents of yourself and Peter."
I wide grin consumed my face and I cold feel my cheeks warm to a gentle glow.
"Tell you what. You call us when you need us and we're here. No questions asked. Deal?"
Charles smiled out to the scenery before us.
"Deal."

*

"You take care of yourself," Hank told me, his arms wrapped around my shoulders.
"You too. Thank you for everything."
"You know where to find me if you ever need anything."
"Same to you."
I took his hands and squeezed them firmly.
"Blue isn't all that bad."
He rolled his eyes.
"Easy for you to say, you're not the one that's blue."
"Hank, just please. Take pride in who you are because you're amazing. Mutant and proud."
He nodded.
"I know. I promise I'll get there eventually."
I pulled him in for another embrace, letting his energy seep into me for one final time.
I felt a hand touch my shoulder and pulled away, turning back to face Peter.
"You ready?" he asked, dimples carving out the sides of his face.
I grabbed his hand, intertwining our fingers. I placed a kiss onto his mouth and he held up two cassette tapes.
"Rolling Stones or Pink Floyd for the road?"
My laughter filled the air and I opened the passenger side door.
"Both," I answered.
He nodded his head approvingly.
"My kind of girl."
He helped Bo into the backseat then entered the driver's side with a firm shut to the door. The engine revved with a turn of the key and we pulled off, waving to Hank and Charles through the glass.
And they grew smaller and smaller as we hurtled down the road, until finally they disappeared.
And we went home.