X

The sun had already slipped away from the sky when Peter and I arrived at a motel in Dorchester County. The streets were fully lit by the orange glow of a few sparse lampposts.
"Wait here. I'm going to grab us some rooms," Peter stated as he exited the car and made his way toward the motel office.
I stared at the stars outside the car window and took a deep breath. I whispered to myself as I ran my hand through my hair,
"I have no idea what I'm doing...I hope Bo is okay."
Peter retuned in a couple minutes. He pulled the car door open and said as he held up a single key,
"There was only one room available."
Shit.
"It's...alright," I replied simply.
"Are you sure?"
"Yes," I lied.
"You won't even know I'm there. Like a ninja."
He did a stupid dorky kick into the air and a laugh burst out of me.
"It's alright as long as you don't do that."
"Fair enough."
We grabbed our bags from the backseat and walked up a flight of metal stairs to a second-floor room. He finagled the key inside the lock and creaked the door open.
The room was a descent size with a bathroom in the back. It had a small television set and a landline, ugly tan carpeting and only a single bed.
My chest welded up with anxiety.
"I'll sleep on the floor," Peter assured me as he set his things down by a wooden dresser.
I nodded and dropped my bags by the nightstand before picking up the landline.
"Do you care if I make a call real quick?"
"Gossiping about me?" Peter said smirking and unlacing his sneakers.
"Oh, you know it," I retorted sarcastically.
"Then by all means."
He strolled into the bathroom and I dialed the hotel number Hank gave to me the night before. It rang a couple of times before he answered,
"Hello?"
"Hank, how's it going?"
"Good. We landed a couple hours ago. We're reviewing plans for tomorrow. How are things there?"
"They're alright. You know, other than the fact that I have no clue what to do once we arrive at the medical facility tomorrow. I'm kind of freaking out."
"Don't worry. Peter is there to help you. You can figure this out together, just talk to him."
Tears pushed themselves against the back of my eyes,
"Hank...I can't."
"Yes, you can. Everything will be fine."
"No, you don't understand. I can't stay here. If I talk to him, I'll fall in love with him again and I can't stay, Hank, I can't."
"What's so bad about that?"
I took a long breath and put my palm to my cheek,
"I can't hurt him...alright? I can't control my powers and if he ever got hurt because of me I wouldn't be able to live with myself...that's why I left."
He was silent for a moment before replying,
"I think you're Peter's flock of birds."
"I'm not a bird, I'm a dying star. And...I'm headed down a road of catastrophic destruction."
I sighed and added,
"Look I have to go, okay? Be careful. All of you."
"We will. You be careful too. I'll see you when we get back."
"See you."
I hung the phone back into it's holder and quickly wiped away a couple tears while shouting,
"Peter! You can come out now!"
He opened the door and slid off his headphones.
"I may or may not have gotten bored and signed my name behind the bathroom mirror," he confessed while placing a permanent marker on the dresser.
I smiled,
"I don't care as long as I get to sleep now."
I grabbed a pair of pajamas and headed into the bathroom.
I felt the inside of my coat pocket for the serum and examined the bottle.
I was rapidly running out.
I hesitantly skipped a dosage and shoved it back into my pocket before changing. I grabbed my clothes and almost left before doubling back to lift the framed mirror off of the wall. A couple of doodled band logos were there, as well as the following:
Peter's Ultimate Top Five Album List
1. Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd
2. Exile on Main St. by The Rolling Stones
3. Meddle by Pink Floyd
4. Fragile by Yes
5. Sticky Fingers* by The Rolling Stones
The last album had a little star next to it, and my heart melted into warm gooey sap. The faintest glow began to emit from my fingertips.
I shoved my hands underneath my clothing and walked out into the bedroom.
Peter was already lying on the floor beside the bed, using his jacket as a sad attempt at a blanket.
"Peter, you don't have to sleep on the floor." I said uncontrollably.
He lifted his head,
"Really, it's okay. I'll only have mild back pains."
I laughed,
"Just get up here before I change my mind."
I flicked off the lamp and his smile cut through the thick darkness of the room.
We both slipped beneath the sheets and stared up at the ceiling. I chewed on my bottom lip,
"I have no idea how we're going to do this tomorrow."
Peter turned to his side to face me,
"Hey. It's going to be okay. We'll figure this out."
I turned toward him, our faces now only a few inches apart. A tense feeling entered my chest; this picture seemed all too painfully familiar. We moved forward, our lips just about to collide, one the line of practically touching...until I stopped myself.
I pulled back and whispered with a veil of sorrow,
"Goodnight, Peter."
His face went blank and a bittersweet smile bent the corner of his mouth as he whispered back gently,
"Goodnight, ___."
I turned over the other direction, my back now facing him. I hid my glowing hands beneath the covers and shut my eyes, taking in Peter's energy before drifting off to sleep.
He still loves me...