Chapter 15

Pierce entered the cab, running through it until he hit the control stand, falling over it as he slowed the train down. "I have to stop abandoning my station..." he grumbled.

Air pressure being released sounded throughout the train, like the locomotive was taking a deep sigh. The wheels screeched as he slowed the speed.

The teenage boy gradually neared Pierce from behind, clapping. "Well done, well done." He smirked.

Pierce slammed his fist on the stand, turning around to face him. "Okay, number one rule: Don't ever come in here, got it? Stay where the other passengers are."

"Nah." The man stretched.

Pierce calmed himself and took a deep sigh, closing his eyes. Slowly, he looked at the teenager. "I have various knives and a gun scattered throughout my person. I'm this close to letting you have one... in your neck!"

The man rubbed his neck, imagining what it would feel like to be stabbed there, then continued to smirk. "That won't be necessary." His eyes squinted more, deviously.

"Then you'll leave?"

"Oh, far from it. Don't forget, you kill me, and everyone will blame you since I've convinced a good amount of passengers that I'm the engineer," the blond replied. "So, do you want to stay out of trouble, or kill me? The choice is yours." The corners of his smile rose to his skinny eyes.

A long pause sounded the two men, who glared intently at each other.

A shout escaped Pierce's mouth as he suddenly rammed the man into the wall, holding on to the front of his shirt. He started punching him in the jaw left and right, his rings leaving deep marks in his face.

The punching began to stop for a moment, and the teenager's eyes were wide with fright, his smirk destroyed in an instant.

"You do not mess with an ex-gang member," Pierce said intimidatingly, raising his fist to swing another punch.

Just as the man turned his head against the wall to defend himself, Maxwell rushed in and broke the two up. "Whoa, whoa, what is going on?" he snapped.

Pierce let go of the teenager's shirt and crossed his arms. "He won't leave me alone."

The blond slid down the wall when Pierce let go and massaged his injured face. He scowled at him. "Hey, your actions were uncalled for!"

Pierce turned to him, clenching his fists. "No they weren't! You were-"

"Alright, alright! That's enough!" Maxwell shouted, holding his arms out to separate them. He looked at Pierce. "Pierce, you need to stop threatening..." He turned to the man. "Uh, what's your name?"

"Heimlich," he replied.

"Heimlich, here!" Maxwell spoke, turning back to Pierce, though he then looked back at the man to reassure that he heard it right, "Heimlich?"

He nodded.

"Yes... Heimlich." Gradually, he turned his head back to Pierce. "Are we clear?"

Pierce looked at the ground and nodded, ashamed. "Yeah..."

"Good." Maxwell lowered his arms and glared at Heimlich. "Now then, Mr.... uh..."

"Mann." Heimlich smiled.

"Mann..." He paused. "Well then, Mr. Mann, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave and never come back. I'll escort you out."

Heimlich, whose face was covered with open lacerations, nodded and followed Maxwell. He stuck his tongue out at Pierce, smiling, just before he left.

Pierce scoffed and spun around, walking toward his seat, his boots clacking loudly when they made contact with the floor. "Psh, crazy kid." He crossed his arms.

The train slowly came to a complete stop, commanded by Pierce. Its usual screeching wheels and pressure released sounds erupted throughout it. The sighs and wails coming from the pipes came to a gradual halt, and soon the locomotive was in its place at the train station.

Pierce looked out the window, only to see a few streetlights shining the reflective concrete of the street. The darkness outside covered most of the city. He was glad that it was night, since Tesdal Town was usually brutally humid.

He took a deep sigh and pulled out the note that Maxwell gave him, trying to decipher it more. He pulled out a cigarette and lit it as he stared at the hidden words. "You have blank... that you must protect from blank k..."

He exhaled smoke as he stared at the words. He didn't feel angry, just contemplative. This had to be important, right? Why would his father write this? Thoughts scurried around in his head, but it was hopeless. He knew he needed more information.

"Alright, Pierce, he's gone," Maxwell informed, closing the door as he entered the cab. He gasped when he saw Pierce and ran adjacent to him. "Smoking again? Pierce, you have to stop this! This isn't allowed!"

Pierce slowly looked up at him, his eyes wide and legs crossed over one another. "What? This is my train."

Maxwell grumbled. "Yes, but look at what you're doing! You're killing yourself!"

"What are you getting so worked up for? You used to smoke, didn't you?"

"And I killed my daughter doing so!"

The room became silent. Not even the sleeping train could fill the empty sound.

Pierce raised an eyebrow, slightly turning his head away in curious confusion.

Maxwell sighed and fell his seat, folding his hands over his legs. "Just forget everything I said." He glanced at the door, then to the floor. "I think... I think I'll go now," he stuttered, smiling slightly as he began to leave.

Just as Maxwell stood up, Pierce grabbed his arm, staring out the front window. "No, tell me."

Maxwell looked at him, concern showing. He sat back down and sighed again. "Are you sure? You said you didn't want to hear any more sadness."

Pierce nodded and stared at the ground, emotionless.

Maxwell took a deep breath, then spoke, "Well... I said before that I didn't know why she died, but I suspect my smoking did it. She was just a newborn and I suppose I cared about intoxicating my lungs more than caring for my lovely child." He paused. "And I guess I cared about intoxicating her lungs more than caring for her too."

Pierce looked up, back out the window. "I see. And now you quit because of it?"

He nodded in reply.

"You didn't think once to yourself that that could hurt her?" Pierce snapped.

"Like I was supposed to know that could happen!"

Pierce got out of his seat and glared down at him. "You idiot! You know children have fragile lungs!"

"I was a new father! I didn't know the consequences!" Maxwell stood up as well.

"That was a really terrible move, you know that?"

"I'm sorry, okay! I made a horrible mistake and I regret it! Do you have any idea what it's like to lose someone you love without any sort of warning?"

The room was silent once again, the two calming themselves as they stared into each other's eyes. A brief pause gave them time to think.

"I'm sorry, Maxwell," Pierce said, abruptly walking to the door as he took his paper and cigarette. His boots rattled loudly against the cold floor, creating the only sound.

When Maxwell was left alone, he slammed his hand on the control stand. He took a deep breath and rested his head in his hand as he calmly sat down, leaving the tear rolling down his cheek alone.