Chapter 14

Pierce rubbed his bottom lip with his index finger in boredom, rocking back-and-forth in his seat as he pushed against the control stand with his foot. The chains on his boots rattled quietly. He pondered silently all that had happened to him since his last suicidal attempt: 'My father's dead, his notebook has secret messages which I can't obtain anymore, and I have a mysterious note.' He eyed Maxwell briefly. 'My longtime best friend is back, my shoulder and head hurt like hell, and now, I am a train engineer. What... the... hell?'

"Pierce? Is everything all right?" Maxwell asked, concerned.

Pierce rapidly looked at him, responding a little too quickly. "Huh? Yeah, I'm fine."

"Alright. If you're sure." Maxwell gazed at the track ahead, then back to Pierce. "Shall we announce that we'll be arriving in ten minutes?"

Pierce sat up. "Ten minutes? Well, that went by quickly."

Maxwell nodded.

After a short pause, Pierce spoke again, shifting his eyes left and right in confusion. "So... are you going to tell them?"

"What? Me?" Maxwell asked, confused as well. "But you know more about this train than me."

"Yes... but you're the conductor now. This is what they do. At least, that's what I'm deciding."

"Well... how about you do it this time to show me?"

"What?" Pierce sighed. "Fine, I'll do it. But next tim-" He suddenly winced in pain, holding his head as he bent down slightly.

Maxwell rolled his eyes. "Wow Pierce. Really?"

"What?" Pierce snarled, gritting his teeth. "My head is hurting again."

"Sure. You just don't want to do the announcements."

"That is so not true!" Pierce stood up in frustration, his voice girlishly rising. He then sat down again, speaking quietly, "Ow..."

Maxwell rolled his eyes again, this time crossing his arms.

"Look, I'm not joking!" Pierce shouted, his voice raising as he shut his eyes tightly. He growled and stood up, walking the metal cabinet in the back. He grabbed the sides and slammed his head multiple times on it. "That's it, I can't take this anymore."

Maxwell stood up and neared him, furrowing his eyebrows. He had concern on his face. "Pierce, maybe you should-"

Pierce stopped injuring himself and reached for his inside jacket pocket. He held a gun suddenly next to his own head. "I can't take this anymore," he repeated.

Maxwell froze and grew wide-eyed. "Pierce, don't be irrational. Please, don't be like this! If you really want me to do the announcements I can!"