Chapter 15: The Prelude

Jordan and Seamus made their way down the spiraling staircase towards the courtyard, preparing themselves for the event that was about to take place. Seamus, who seemed all giddied up and ready to go, didn't hesitate for even a second when the clock struck 3 PM. He had just bounded gleefully out the door, pulling the other along with him. The king, however, had a dark look plastered on his face. He didn't say a word upon departure. The only thing he had shown his friend was a deep determined stare.

"Let's just get this over with," the king snarled as they arrived at the doors to the outside. As the wizard noticed, his expressions and actions were getting more and more shifty over time, but he didn't argue. He loved where it was going; he was finally having his way. Seamus shot him a wide smile and lunged forward to hold the door open for Jordan.

"After you," he said, bowing.

Jordan just kept his eyes forward and walked outside without paying any attention to Seamus, watching as a mass of guards scrambled around to make sure everything was in order at the last second. Some of them yelled out orders to others while the guillotine was set up. It's thick silvery blade hung high in the air, shimmering against the sunlight that dropped down onto it.

Jordan walked over to the right, examining more of the courtyard as he tried to keep himself busy. They had decided to hold this event in the courtyard instead of their normal area they used for executions to make sure the thief would have a more painful death than needed; public humiliation included. Locals gathered and chatted anxiously amongst themselves by the entrance, waiting for something exciting to occur.

Seamus then ran up behind him, looking like a kid in a candy store. His eyes never stilled, while his body twisted to and fro to make sure he didn't miss a single spot to gaze at and soak in all of its beauty.

"...Where's Eddie?" Seamus asked, finally slowing his excited expressions, immediately melting it all into irritation. "Those two better do their job right."

"Relax. They'll do it right, I know it."

-

"I'm a bit worried, James."

"We have to get it done," he whispered, standing right outside of the dungeon's heavy wooden door. "Jordan'll have our asses up there instead if we don't."

"I know, but... We're killing the only friend his brother has. I mean, although he's a criminal, isn't this a bit dark?"

"Who fucking cares? Not me, I'll tell you that much." James rolled his eyes, putting his hand on the handle to the door. Ze instantly threw himself forward and latched onto James' arm, stilling him before he could make a move.

His friend looked down at his arm, which was being gripped tightly, then back up to it's owner's eyes. Flashing a threatening look at Ze, the corner of his mouth twitched, and the other knight gave him a sympathetic gaze.

"James, please, just... Don't make this any worse than it has to be for them. They're probably already taking it pretty harshly."

James hesitated, but his looks softened, and he nodded, giving into his request slightly. "Sure. I'll try."

"Thank you," Ze released his arm and beckoned for him to open the door finally, which James quickly succumbed to, throwing it open with brutal force.

Ze jolted up, realizing James would completely ignore his requests in a matter of seconds.

The two were sitting on the cell floor chatting idly until they were rudely interrupted by the abrupt slamming noise. Aleks swiveled around quickly due to his back being turned to the door, and groaned quietly once he noticed the two knights.