Prologue

The hands on my watch seem to chase each other around, mocking me. You'll never make it in time, they say.

Leaning my head back against the plane seat, I squeeze my eyes shut and try hard not to think about the eight and a half hours I had to sit through. The pilot says something over the intercom, but it just sounds like white noise to me. I blindly put my headphones on, and try to find a song to lose myself in, but everything annoys me. I can only hear one voice in my head, begging me.

The first tear slips down my cheek, and I swipe it away. This isn't happening.

"Sir?" the flight attendant is speaking to me. I look across the two businessmen sitting beside me to answer her. "Would you like anything to drink?"

Yes, your strongest liquor.

"No," I reply in the most normal voice I can imagine. I look at the window and watch Spain disappear behind us. Her voice echoes in my head again: When I get out of this damn town, I'm going straight to Barcelona.

What are you going to do there?, my reply.

Live.

I dig my fingers into the seat and continue to stare out the window, no music coming through my headphones. The only sound I can hear is her laughing.

- - -

Yep new luke fic

YOU CAN'T PUT TWO NAMES FOR DEDICATIONS BUT THIS IS FOR BAYLEA AND SARAH, SINCE THEY INDIRECTLY GAVE ME THE IDEA FOR THIS

just so you know that's the present, so the majority of the story will be told in the past as luke thinks about it on the plane

btw the majority of this storys set in new york

i luh ya i luh ya cuties