Lesson 05

"You said there was a reason I should be taking this seriously?" Leanne prodded slowly.

Maika nodded though he still didn't answer right away. Leanne scowled in distaste. She wasn't particularly a patient person and she hate waiting. For ending up in heaven things sure weren't all that great. There was a lot of red tape and hoops to jump through and she wasn't enjoying it.

Finally after a long pause Maika spoke again. "If you don't finish this task you cannot come back."

Leanne blinked once then twice as this information sunk in. "So wait... I just died a horrible stabbing death and now you're going to send me back to earth to play 'guardian angel'?"

"Not in so many words but yes."

The conversation stalled entirely then as Leanne comprehended this information. She wasn't quite sure what irritated her most but all of this was leaving her in a bad mood. Heaving a deep sigh and running a hand through her hair Leanne attempted to calm herself down. It didn't help.

"I'm not the type to play as someone's guardian you know? I don't even really listen to myself half the time."

"Perhaps," nodded Maika in agreement. "And perhaps this is what you need most."

"Oh c'mon! Couldn't you just send me to hell and be done with it?" Maika looked horrified at the suggestion even as Leanne continued on. "That's where I was supposed to go anyways with all the not believing in religious crap of any kind and all the complete bitchiness bordering on cold-heartedness!"

His hand hovered around her shoulder before her dropped it back to his own lap. Maika seemed to give up trying to comfort her through physical contact. At least this would allow Leanne her personal space once again.

"No matter where you think you should have been placed you have been placed here," Maika answered finally and with a firm tone. "Shouldn't you work to make the best of things?"

Leanne's answer was that of a long, aggravated groan as she slumped further into her seat.