Chapter 1

People said that airports had seen more sincere kisses than churches, and sometimes, Stephanie vouched for that saying. On the many times her troop was deployed somewhere, she had seen many sorts of kisses, tears and farewells that she had completely lost count.

A place of serenity; that was the kind of place the airport was. Because of frequent deployements and missions, she crossed this place's path more than often. Nothing calmed her more than watching the citizens of the country going on with their lives, hearing the clutters that rollers from luggages give.

Now, she will leave this place, and possibly, won't be back in a long, long time. She didn't have the face to bid farewell to her army troops, she was more often a spy, not a soldier who faced the frontlines. That spoke the same for the person she was.

She has a secret as well.

It wasn't deep or dark like that at all that people would normally expect.

Stephanie was tired - weary even. Those who didn't knew her well enough would have shrugged it off, claiming that it was just a nasty joke. Her - a genius, prodigy, class-act assasin - who reached such a high level in the army when she was just in her early twenties, knew the meaning of getting tired?

Yes, she actually did.

She had more scars on her body than the wrinkles on a 80 year old man, and the idea of having more than 7 hours to sleep was baffling to her.

She didn't want to feel the strains of her hands on a PVC pipe anymore or being given the mission to kill someone anymore.

She wanted a change, a change that will bring peace to her mind, a change that will allow her to help people with her knowledge and abilities. She wanted to like her job; where she wouldn't mind spending a lot of time on it. A job that she would still have suspense; a job that is like a meaningful puzzle.

Miami was the place to get that, or at least it was the place she thinks it is. There were two things she could get there that she can't here in Korea; her freedom, and friends. It would have been a lie if she said that she didn't come to Miami for the friends that she had made for over 5 years, and still stayed in contact with. She missed their friendship, and above all, she missed the quietness of the Miami Crime Lab, and the oceans that laid overviewed for it's citiens.

It would be nice to see those things everyday, it really would.

But it didn't mean that it wasn't difficult for her to leave either. It is never easy to leave a nest that you lived for so long, and being a citizen in Korea had taught her much about patriotism. 

However this time, she wanted to be selfish, the most selfish she will ever be.

Those were the thoughts that crossed Stephanie's mind as she dwelled in the silence of the private boarding room. She was so preoccupied that she nearly forgotten that Yang Jun was trotting up towards her in civilian clothing, having some-sort of an object within his hands.

This time, he chose to bid her farewell as an uncle, her guardian instead of her superior in the army. With a plain washed- out blue T-shirt with baggy pants, nobody could have suspected that he was one of the most powerful men standing within the military. Because of his notable fame and wealth, he volunteered to deploy Stephanie in his private plane, saving her the trouble and money both. That was also one of the things she admired about him, no matter how rich he got, he was still so down-to-earth and stuck to important values that could have strayed admist the fortunes he gained.

Stephanie both had reasons to love and detest him. He took care of her for nearly her whole life, providing her a life of luxury for her as long as she was under his roof and protection. He equipped her with the highest form of morals, knowledge, skills and education so tightly that nobody would ever be able to take it away from her. Those experiences he gave her would allow her to face most hurdles without backing down like a coward. But in exchange, he snatched away any form of social life, enjoyment or childhood she would ever have. She experienced, did and seen gruesome things that a 15 year old should never have to see; all on his expense. A 21-year old should at least talk a little more than she did.

It didn't mean that Stephanie lacked any affection from Yang Jun, or suspected that he did not love her. In fact, it was the complete opposite. Yang Jun would give up anything for her. He gave her a job that she could always rely on, and his wealth became hers. He expected the highest and best of her not because of blindness, but because on how much he believed and trusted in her no matter what. Through his strict guidance and teachings, Stephanie found strength, confidence and discipline. She forgave him for all the times she wished that he would go a little loose on her or offered her treats for the accomplishments she had done.

At first, she hesitated to tell him her thoughts about her migration, for fear that he might interpret it as a form of rebellion, and also because she was well aware of the cultural differences between the east and west sides of the world. But surprisingly, when she wrecked the courage to tell him, he processed her words in silent,  before offering her a small smile, and seven words.

'My child, you've already grown up anyways.'

It was the loosest she has ever seen him since today. She put aside her hands-on luggage and greeted the old man with the widest smile she could conjure. It was the least she could do for him anyways.

'Here are your documents.' He said in Korean, and handed the pieces of paper sealed inside an orange envelope.

Stephanie accepted it mutely for she knew her uncle did not appreciate gracious movements over simple matters, and turned the envelop over to it's front page. It was her migration forms, and also some intel documents on the Miami army base.

'What is this for?' She referred and looked at him.

'Well, although I doubt that you will ever need it, just in case if anything goes wrong or you need an immediate employment. I have connections over there so give me a call before you do anything, that is, if it ever come to that.'

She smiled to herself and reflected on how lucky she was to have a guardian that always took care of her and have her ready for anything.

'Thank you, uncle.' She said quietly.

Her uncle's face betrayed no other emotion except calm and relief as he tucked his wrinkled hands into his pockets.

'Just take care of yourself, okay? If anything happens, remember that you can always come back here.'

'You're not afraid that I'll mix with bad people?' She teased, and this time, he cocked his head to a side with his eyebrows raised. In response, she showed an open-eyed, innocent stare(which probably looked like a penguin who tried to look like a lion) but she couldn't maintain it, so did Yang Jun.

He gave a deep chuckle, and almost looked at par with any other ordinary uncle in a park enjoying a drink with his friends.

'Alright, alright.' He raised his arm and patted her shoulder. 'At this rate, you're going to be the one who irritates everyone in the lab.'

'You don't have to worry, uncle.' She reassured.

'I know that.' He almost immediately replied without a single trace of annoyance. 'You should go now then, otherwise you would arrive there too late.'

She nodded and bowed exactly 90 degrees. 'I'll be going then.' On those words, she lunged forward and embraced the old man. On instinct, he patted her head and released her, shoeing her away playfully as much as she waved back at him.

'Farewell, uncle.'

'Farewell, my child.'