Chapter Thirty-Nine: All In

I looked at the clock set above the counter on the far wall as everyone fanned out behind me, Dante bringing up the rear and slamming the backdoor closed.

It was nearly midnight.

I turned and spotted Andy. I hobbled over to her as quickly as I dared. Dante had done plenty to patch me up but I knew it was only a patch job. I needed intensive healing but that would have to wait. In the meantime, I didn’t want to do any permanent damage to myself. I nearly laughed as my mind flipped through all the creatures that most certainly had wanted to do permanent damage to me in the last five minutes alone. 

“Eliza…” Dante warned.

My brain cleared and snapped back to the task at hand like a well pulled rubber band.  

“Say the words, Andy. Now,” I said, sounding way too calm for the panic I was feeling.

Andy didn’t seem to hear me. I grabbed her shoulders and gave her a good shake. “Andy! Now!” I yelled rigth in her face.  

Her eyes rolled back around as she shook out of her daze. She nodded jerkily and turned to face Caroline. In a rush she began speaking the words she’d memorized earlier, stumbling over the first few so badly she had to restart.

Caroline stared from Andy to me and back to Andy. “What is she doing?”

“Shhh! Let her speak,” I said, eyeing the clock. We had two minutes left, 120 seconds before Asher came back to collect every soul.   

“No! What is she doing?” Caroline demanded.

“Don’t stop, Andy.” I said, ignoring her, my eyes never leaving the clock.

“No! What is she saying?” she screamed, trying to be heard over Andy’s recitation. 

“She’s asking for your forgiveness and pledging herself to you and your baby’s service,” Dante replied, his voice easily carrying over the others.

“Please, Caroline. Just let her finish,” Chase added in.   

“What? Are you freaking kidding me?” she asked looking around horrified.  

Andy finished at the same time Caroline spoke her question.

“Not even a little bit,” I said turning to face her. “Just listen to what Andy has to say, okay? This is really, really important.” She had absolutely no idea how important and we didn’t have time to go over the details.

“Ninety-seconds,” Dante said.

“Andy…” I urged. The recitation was only the first part. Andy still had to ask for true forgiveness. 

Andy took a step towards Caroline but the other girl backed away hurriedly. “Stay the fuck away from me,” she ordered, pointing a finger at her.  

Andy held up her hands in front of her in a gesture of no-harm and ducked her head low as if she was trying to make herself seem smaller, less dangerous in some way. “Okay, sorry. It’s just that…”

Caroline looked ready to bolt as she continued, “What? You think I’m just going to stand here and let you turn me back into stone? Or worse! What the hell was that outside! Was that something else you’re trying to do to me?”

“No!” Andy gasped. “I’m trying to fix everything. I’m trying to make it right.”

“Make it right? By sending demons after us?” she demanded, her voice near hysterical. 

“No, the demons were Asher’s doing, not Andy’s,” I said interrupting her. “She’s asking for your forgiveness.”

Caroline wheeled on me, “You expect me to forgive her? Forgive her after what she's done to me?” she asked, the shock evident in her accusatory tone.