Chapter Thirty-Seven: Rise

“Now this is a little better.” Lust stretched languidly, craning Pete’s head from side to side, getting a feel for her new home. I could hear the pop of his neck clearly from where I lay.

Dante bent down and laid a hand on my head. “Easy, Eliza,” he instructed. I felt the cooling quicksilver of Dante’s magic move through my head, turning the worst of the pain into a tight little ball he pushed into the corner. I took a deep breath, filling my lungs with as much air as I could hold.

My mind cleared and I could see again.

Blinking, I focused on Dante's face, the full moon lighting him from behind. “Thanks…I’m not ready to die just yet.”

His eyes cut over to Pete, now invaded by Lust, stood and nodded once as he answered, “Me neither. But you better get up, if you want to stay that way. Take it slow, though. My power is only a temporary fix. You’re going to have a killer migraine when all this is over.”

I hoped anyway.

He helped me to my feet as my eyes found Pete. He was rolling his shoulders back, flexing the muscles in his arms. I hadn’t noticed before but Andy's ex was in pretty good shape – like varsity football shape.

“This could be bad,” Dante remarked coolly.

I would have laughed if I wasn’t afraid I’d pass out from it. Still, Dante gripped my forearms as I lurched to the side. My feet were more than a little unsteady beneath me. It was as if the world had suddenly decided to sway back and forth like a Poe inspired pendulum instead of its usually unnoticeable spin.

“As opposed to what?” I asked now, testing each foot out to make sure I could put all of my weight on them.

“I mean really bad,” he clarified. I felt another little zap from Dante and the world grew still once more.

"Thanks," I said gratefully. 

"Don't thank me yet." 

As we watched, Pete’s pupils dilated until they were nearly all black, then they grew red like Asher’s.

“So not good,” Dante muttered.

I agreed.  On the bright side, I no longer felt like I was going to fall over standing still. I had to focus on the positives.

“Sooo much better,” Lust sighed and the relief was evident even from where I stood. “Thanks, dad,” She blew Asher a kiss. 

I felt Dante’s hands fall away. 

“Yeah, that can’t be good,” I agreed and blinked. I did a quick double-take to make sure I wasn’t going crazy.

I wasn’t.

Dante was gone.

Pete, now inhabited by my former inner roomie, turned in my direction. As he spoke, it was Lust’s dulcet tones that poured out, “Sorry, cupcake. I got a new body…and new orders,” she said with something that nearly sounded like regret.

“You don’t have to do this,” I replied, forgetting Dante’s Houdini impression for the moment. I knew he hadn’t left me to fend all alone. 

He'd be back. 

I was like 95% sure he would be back.

Maybe 85%. 

Asher's voice cut through my worried musings, “She is no longer yours to influence,” he said, sounding more amused by the second.

I didn’t understand.

It didn’t matter. Asher inclined his head ever so slightly and like a command, Pete moved forward, his red glare locking on Andy.