4.

You do not have to read this first book to read this one! - There are a lot of dad/mafia series, so if this seems similar to yours then message me for credit.

Words: 3.3k

-

This is a filler chapter! nothing important happens and it's not that well written. I apologize.

"I don't want to!" Rosie screamed, her voice hitting the four walls before bouncing straight back to smack you in the face- wet, red lips parting between yells. "No Mommy!"

She thrashed around, the brown bear in one hand as she tried to fight you off with the other. You weren't doing anything bad, merely trying to get the girl to get dressed and ready for the day but she had refused, wrapping the duvet around her waist and burying herself beneath your sheets.

"Roo, sweetheart, C'mon." You coaxed, trying to tug away the sheets only for her to grip them harder, little curls remaining covered by the cotton. "It's getting late."

You were always a firm believer in gentle parenting, never once raising your hand or your voice louder than necessary for that matter- maybe it was because you, yourself were afraid of loud noises and sudden physical contact so the thought of putting your daughter through the same thing was never a thought you had to think twice about.

So instead of blowing up at the defying child you sighed and swore that if your hair was out of the tight ponytail then you would've run a hand through it and tugged at the roots.

"I'm not going." She growls, voice muffled as she hugged the bear to her chest and without a second though you rip back the sheets, exposing the little girl.

The shirt she wore was one of yours- much too big for the four-year-old and made her look like a Christmas present, wrapped up from head to toe. She wore a pout to match, eyes hazy and almost teary as she stared up at you, toes peeking out of the shirt as she stretched.

"Why don't you want to go?" You sit down, your pajamas tightening as you do so and Rosie shuffles away, a hard glare on her features and you can't help but think about how much she acted like her father. She had his attitude, that was for sure.

"I don't like it there." She mumbles into the bear, sticking her tongue out of her mouth when she feels something fuzzy on her tongue. "Grandad's mean," Rosie whispers.

You knew your father was never able to connect with kids- he simply didn't know what they liked and once allowed Rosie to watch the purge much to your dismay instead of something kid friendly like Spongebob, Adventure time at most. It wasn't that he didn't like Rosie, he adored the girl but over time had forgotten how to look after a child and considering he'd sent you away for a period of your life- he had little experience in the first place.

She had nightmares for weeks after that, poking her head out between the curtains every day to check for people in masks- practically turning her room into a safe zone, toddler legs collecting stuffies and her favorite outfits and locking them away where the bad guys couldn't find them.

"He's not mean he's just... grumpy." You admit, reaching over to try and grab the little girl but she only moves way further, pretty much near the other side of the bed now and you swore that if she moved any further she'd fall right off. "What if I said we weren't going today?"

"What?" She perks up, the bear that she previously held in her hand now rolling off of the bed with a thud.

"What if I said that we have somewhere else to go." You hint, realizing that there wasn't going to be an easy way to get her in the car without telling a portion of the truth.