chapter 3 (edited)

Chapter 3

This is the newest chapter hope you like it. 

Enjoy. 

*********************************************

Hunter's P.O.V 

A faint knock woke me from my peaceful sleep. My brother stayed with me after the incident. It seemed appropriate after our parents had left so mysteriously for work again. Surely, I thought, nothing could be so important to drag them from their son when he was so terribly frail? Perhaps I am the only person that will care for him as he deserves while he is so ill, because they certainly aren't!  

"Come in," I croaked, my voice heavy with sleep. My mother slowly opened the door, still wearing the same grey satin shirt with white slacks from earlier. She still had her professional and detached attitude, even when one of her sons lay on his death-bed. Obviously, they had dealt with the "emergency mission" that had taken them from Hayden's bedside while he struggled to take a single breath. 

"Hayden, you snuck into Hunter's room again," my mother chastised, approaching us. What else would he do, I thought to myself. I knew I'd never be able to keep the bitterness from my voice, so I said nothing and moved onto my back to stare at the ceiling. I was unable to bear the sight of her playing a role that simply did not fit, the caring mother.  

"Did you take your medicine, Hayden?" she asked looking concerned.  

"No, I didn't take it," he said, rubbing his eyes, just now rousing from his peaceful slumber. Leaving a place where his raspy breath did not struggle with the same intensity as it had before. 

"Why do you always do that? Now get out of the bed and take your medicine!" 

"Mother, I feel better now," Hayden said, smiling. He forgave her everything so easily, even when she left him to cling to his life. It was as though he was so grateful that she was there at all that he took whatever she threw at him with a smile, and dignity. I listened mutely to their exchange. 

"The same words as always," she said, kissing his forehead. "Okay my handsome boys, I'll leave you now. Night," she moved to my side. I stiffened as she bent to kiss me goodnight, closing my eyes as her lips touched my skin. I didn't fight her though. Instead I whispered, "Goodnight." 

"Night, mother," Hayden replied, sounding much less hostile than I had, before she quietly shut the door behind her. 

"Hayden, don't you think you should take your medicine? Even if you do feel better, you ought to take it just in case,” His beautiful, big hazel eyes were filled up with pain; I knew he agreed with me. I got up to go to the kitchen to bring him a glass of water, but he stopped me. 

"Hunter.... Please stay with me," Though conflicted, I gave in. I knew he was in pain, but if he would not take his medicine, as much as I wanted, I couldn't force him. I settled back into the cushions with a disapproving sigh. 

"Night, Hunter," he whispered. "Please do not worry about me. I really do feel much better." 

I continued my tortured glare at the ceiling, sighing and shutting my eyes. Though I could not bear the thought, I knew I may lose my brother, but it would be much sooner than expected if he allowed nobody and nothing to care for him. So, struggling to hide the emotions evident in my voice, it came out as nothing more than a mumbled, "Night Hayden."

*************************

            "What time is it now?" He asked, his voice thick with sleep, and hands heavily rubbing at his eyes.