Bringing Back Hallie: Chapter Fifteen

A/N--So this is a pretty short chapter, sorry about that!  But it's really adorable, I think, so I hope you guys all like it.  Please vote/comment/fan!  And thanks to the sudden onrush of new fans, it's so crazy and it's making me so happy!

XXXXXXX 

Darla's all sprawled out on the recliner, the latest Pretty Little Liars book spread across her stomach, and looking over at the four of us like she should have a huge tub of movie theater popcorn with her. It's right after lunch the next day, and Ethan and I have finally gathered up the courage to tell my parents about our relationship.  

I wasn't nervous about it at all yesterday, so excited that he was finally going to let our relationship be known by people, but now that it's the actual time to tell my parents...I'm a bit terrified. I wouldn't be so scared had Ethan not told me about all of the rules my dad made, but now that there's a possibility of my dad kicking Ethan out, I am not quite so confident.  

But still, the truth needs to be spoken whether or not it's easy for us. I don't want to sneak around behind their backs with that possibility of getting caught. I just can't do it.  

"So what's all this about?" my dad asks, eyeing the two of us quite suspiciously. His broad arms are folded across his chest, his brown eyebrows raised in question. Never in my life have I been so intimidated by him. He has the power to kick the guy I really have a thing for out. And I don't like that responsibility in the hands of someone other than me. 

My mom, though, has this calm expression on her face, like she knows exactly what's going on but just wants to hear it from us first. I don't know what to make of that. I really don't. I cast a quick side glance at Ethan and see that while his face is calm, he keeps rubbing his palms against his jeans in nervousness.  

"Well..." I start, knowing that it might be a bit better if they hear it from me. I am their daughter after all. "Ethan and I..." 

"Nice grammar, sis," Darla teases from her spot on the recliner, like she's loving this whole awkward situation that I have to go through. Little bitch. 

I look over at her and childishly stick my tongue out at her, Ethan chuckling a bit underneath his breath. Why does just hearing his soft laughter make me feel a little bit easier? It's not like I'm no longer scared shitless, because I truly am, but still...he makes me feel a little more at ease.  

Once again I meet eyes with my parents who are sitting across from us on the leather love seat, and when I see the slight smile on my mom's pretty face, I just have this gut instinct that she knows exactly what's going on. My dad, though, still looks completely unknowing and a bit uncomfortable because of that fact.  

"Hallie and I are dating, sir," Ethan says pretty bluntly, shocking me completely to say the least. I honestly did not believe he was just going to come out and say it like that, so easy and straightforward, but I know why he did it. It's like ripping off a bandage; quick and almost painless.  

I watch my dad's handsome face as he lets this new information sink in, gauging what his reaction might be. "What?" he asks a bit tightly, leaning forward just a bit.  

I see my mom's hand sneak out and grab at his, squeezing it tightly as if to get him to calm down. I look over at her in surprise, not at all used to having her stick up for me in situations like this, and when I see her smile comfortingly at me, like she's going to take care of it, I haven't a clue of what to do. It's almost unnatural to have her help me out like this. 

Feeling the need to explain Ethan's pretty bold statement, I tell my dad, "We're seeing each other, dad. We have feelings for each other." 

Taking the one hand that's not grasped tightly with my moms, he runs his hand up his stubbly face and into his brown hair, hair that's so much like my own. I look so much like my dad, I think, looking on at his dark brown locks and his vibrant blue eyes. Sure his are much brighter than mine, but they're still the same shade.