Chapter Sixteen - Always Partners

Julia's POV

February 16th, 2017

I hide in the library, one of my safe zones in school; welcoming books, nice librarians who like me, and a place for me to escape into an alternate reality.

But now I can't read books. I can't concentrate, I tap my hand against the table, anxiously run my hands through my hair. I can't even study. All that goes through my mind is Ethan, his smile, how he acts around me, how his eyes hold that tiny bit of gold, with a rim of green around the edge and brown in the middle. His messy hair, and how he never knows what to do with it.

And now I need to tell him. I don't know what to do, he's coming now to the library, because we're always partners. It's like Kat paid our science teacher to do that or something. I've settled myself and my things into a corner, my legs still aching from the games we've had. We're so close to the Championships, I can almost smell it. Looking around in the almost empty library, I try to search for his tall figure.

A few minutes later, he walks through the double doors, wearing a hoodie and some black jeans, his hair a little shorter than the last time I saw him. I smile at him, feeling myself turning red, and lean my head to bag to 'grab something' just so I can hide my heated cheeks.

"Hey," he smiles, sitting down next to me, "I brought the stuff you asked for, plus this," he hands me little pin, that has a small volleyball on it, with green and gold stripes, our schools colors.

"How did you know I collect pins?" I ask, staring at his lips.

"Kat told me. A while ago, I don't remember why," he chuckles, "Sorry, what are we working on? I kind of blanked out during class."

"Of course you did," I smile, opening the notebook, showing him the formulas and poster we have to fill out for Chemistry. "Oh, and also, do you have time to talk after this?" I fiddle with my ring under the table. He nods, and I can feel him scan over my face, my dark, almost black eyes meet his, and he looks down. I can feel tension rising between us.

By the time we're finished for today, the library is almost closing, so we hurry outside, into the still remaining small sheet of snow. Ethan's phone buzzes, and he answers it, hair getting whipped around by the wind. I try not to listen in, but he tells me what happened anyway, "Grayson wants to film a video soon, and he's telling me to get my ass over there," He shakes his head, "What did you want to tell me again?"

Nope. Not now. My hands are shaking, but I brush it off, "It's fine, I'll tell you later." I leave him to go home, and I still wonder why I can't muster the courage to speak to him.

~Kathlyn's POV~

This is the first time I've felt pretty in a long time. I stand in front of my mirror, a picture of Jackson watching over me. My Guardian Angel. I turn my head back to myself; I'm wearing a flowy bohemian-style blouse, with a skirt, and some black flats. I have on just some mascara and perfume, and I rush down the stairs, saying goodbye to everyone in a flurry to drive over to Grayson's. I feel good. Energized. Even though my old-self has broken through, maybe the energy makes me feel like the girl I was when I moved here, half a year ago.

Grayson walks into the car, wearing a button-up shirt and jeans, because he asked me on a date tonight, "Where are we going?" he questions as I turn a corner, focusing on the road.

"An art gallery I like," I smile, "My favorites are there," Gray nods, and looks out the window.

"You're unusually happy today, how come?" He grins, flashing his pearly teeth.

"I don't know. I feel good. Not that it's a bad thing."

"Of course it isn't. I'm glad you're happy," I puts his hand on my knee, which sends a shock of warmth through me and I pull up to the brick exterior of the building. Grayson and I get out, and I pull for his hand, as the warmth of the gallery rushes through me when we walk in. It smells of pine and cinnamon as we look at the carefully crafted pieces of art. I have a feeling Grayson is staying here just because of me. He's not the type to admire something quietly, he likes to show it, which is one thing I love about him. Even if it's pulling crazy stunts with his brother, or giving me a hug in the hallway at school.

"I really love this one," I whisper, just so Grayson can hear it. It uses dark colors like blues and blacks and grays, but it has one little speck of red an orange. Like some kind of light in complete darkness.

"Why do you like it?" Grayson smiles.

"I think of these dark colors, that look like me, but then this light speck is you, and everyone else who I care about," Grayson grins from ear to ear, and leans down to kiss my head. I smile, and look up at him. "You're probably bored in here, let's go outside for a walk," he agrees and we walk out of the building.

I feel a sudden rush of courage as we round the building to the outskirts of a forest, and I blurt out, "I think I'm ready to tell you about what happened."

Grayson shrugs off his jacket and places it around me, and I thank him, putting my arms into it as he says, "You don't have to, only if you're ready," his chestnut hair flops down a bit, his forest eyes matching the landscape behind us.

"No, I'm ready," I tell him what happened last year, and how the girls brought it back to me by that trigger, just like the doctor told us. I explain to him how I was a different person and why I'm different now, ".. and I realise if I don't tell you, how will we ever trust each other? We have to rely on each other, not completely, but enough to keep us up on sad days, and that's why I wanted to tell you, Grayson, because you're important to me," he says nothing and a rush of fear runs through me but is quickly swept away as he connects his lips with mine, a feeling of longing between us, and I return the kiss, smiling into it. We part, his arms around my waist.

"Thank you," he breaths, his forehead touching mine, a feeling of happiness surging through me just because of this boy.

Hi people! A quick thank you to any of you who are reading, and I'd love for you to comment, it really makes my day! And yeah, here's the QOTD!

Question #16 is... Have you started school yet?

I have, sadly :( but I hope your year goes great whatever you're in, Elementary, Middle School, or High School! Also in other countries I know they have different names but I'm not sure what they're called, lmk :) Alright I gotta goooo

-Tashi :P