Chapter 2

A woman appeared from behind the trees. She wore a long white cloak that covered everything but her head and neck.

 “Do I know you?” Callianne asked her. The woman seemed familiar but she couldn’t remember when or where she saw her before.

The woman smiled sadly. “No, you don’t know me, but you will.” She looked at the locket that hung on Callianne’s neck.

 “That locket belonged to my family for generations.” She explained.

 “Maria said that my birth mom gave me this locket.” Callianne said.

 “And she’s right.” The woman didn’t offer any more explanation.

 “Who are you?” Callianne asked rudely.

 “Patience is a virtue my dear, you’ll find out soon enough.”

 “Why can’t you tell me now?” Callianne was getting frustrated.

The woman frowned. “Something is blocking me from you. I can’t stay here any longer or they’ll know.” She turned to walk back the way she came from before saying one last thing. “Don’t worry dear; we’ll see each other again”

Callianne tried to run after her, but something was stopping her, looking around her she noticed that the trees and the grass were slowly fading away. She remained where she was as she watched the beautiful meadow fading into nothingness.

Callianne woke up to the ringing of her alarm clock. The number six was blinking annoyingly at her as she squinted, trying to block some of the sunlight from hurting her eyes.

 “Callianne, time to wake up. That is, if you want a ride to school!” Maria cried out from the other side of the door.

 “I’m awake!” Callianne yelled burying her head under her pillow.

 “Good,” Maria walked in without bothering to knock. Sitting at the edge of Callianne’s bed she pulled up the pillow. “I’ve decided to take the day off and using today to get some things ready.” She said.

 “What kind of things?” Callianne said suddenly interested, as far as she knew, Maria had never taken a day off work before.

 “Well, first of all; Dr. Caldwell called me this morning to tell me that John Doe has woken up and he doesn’t remember anything. So I have to go get some necessities for him, also I’m going to get your car this afternoon.”

 “Why can’t I come get my car?” Callianne asked in a whiny voice, she really wanted to be there to choose her baby.

 “I know what you’ll like sweetheart, trust me.” She kissed Callianne’s forehead before getting up. “Go get dressed now; you have to eat breakfast since you missed it yesterday.” She said closing the door to give Callianne some privacy.

 “Can’t know who the woman was, can’t choose my own car, next thing you know I won’t be able to dress myself.” She muttered as she heard Maria’s soft footsteps on the stairs. Groaning, she got out of bed and went into the bathroom to do her morning routine.

                *                              *                              *             

Maria watched her daughter head into the school with a frown. She wasn’t supposed to be drinking the tea so soon. Something was wrong and she had a feeling that the boy had something to do with it. She was supposed to have more time.

Sighing as she drove out of the school parking lot she reached for her Bluetooth and made a phone call to a number that she knew by heart, yet she never used it.