Chapter 1

Sixteen years later

A teenage girl hunched her shoulders in an attempt to shield herself from the harsh snow that was endlessly falling from the clouds. She struggled to walk in the undisturbed snow but she thought that this was better than walking in the streets. Here, the tall trees could protect her from the blowing winds.

She hurried up when she noticed that the snow was falling down harder. Any other day, she would’ve stopped and listened to the whispering trees or made a snow angel, but not today; it was cold, wet, and she didn’t have a good day at school.

Her alarm clock didn’t wake her up this morning, and she had to skip breakfast in order to make it to school in time, she also forgot her homework in her bedroom and received a detention for it, and Chad, the captain of the football team, pushed her into a locker today at lunch. Instead of apologizing like any normal person would, he and his teammates just kept making their way to the cafeteria, to top it all off; Maria couldn’t come pick her up after school so she found herself in the forest.

She could almost see the outline of her house when she spotted something that didn’t seem right. Call it instinct if you will but Callianne always seemed to know when something was about to happen and right now, the feeling was so strong that she was starting to get a migraine from it. Looking around she saw a pair of footprints and what looked strangely like blood.

“Oh, I’m going to regret this.” She said to herself as she decided to follow the footsteps. Something about this didn’t seem right yet she felt like she was being drawn to whatever was at the end of this trail. A meadow was ahead of her and something was in the middle of it, something that certainly did not belong in the forest; a body.

She ran the last couple of meters and knelt down beside it. From what she could make out it was a boy. He was unconscious, probably from all the blood loss or it might’ve been from the bump on his head. Either way, he was in pretty bad shape.

“Hold on there,” She said to him despite the fact that he couldn’t hear her. She reached for her phone to call an ambulance; thankfully they weren’t too far into the forest so her phone still had bars.

“911 what’s your emergency?” A calm female voice answered.

“I found an unconscious boy near the forest; he lost a lot of blood.” She cried out as she checked to see if he was still bleeding.

“Do you know where you are?” The woman asked.

“I’m near 307 Woodland Street.” She answered back.

“What’s your name?” she asked once more.

“Callianne Montgomery.”

“An ambulance will be right there.” The woman said quickly. Callianne could hear fast typing in the background.

While she waited for the ambulance to arrive, she caught something shining in her eye. She ran over to look at it. It was a silver knife with blood on it. It was also engraved with some sort of drawing.

“How strange.”

She went to pick it up even though she knew that the police would’ve wanted to look at it, she had a feeling that the strange boy would know what the engravings meant. Putting the knife in her pocket, she went back to the boy and sat down beside him, the cold weather forgotten. She was going to help him get better not matter what; she felt a connection to him.

She stood there staring at the boy for a long time, wondering what happened to him, what he did to deserve being so brutally stabbed. She wasn’t a detective but she saw enough of TV shows to know that this wasn’t some sort of prank.