Confessions [15]

15. Confessions

Ryan

Outside, I situated Maureen in the front seat of the truck, buckling the seatbelt around her. She was groggy and half-asleep.

"Maureen, listen, I'm going to take you to Sasha's house, okay? So you can sleep it off."

"No, no... I have to go home... my mom..." she slurred.

"Text your mom and ask her if you can sleep over at Sasha's. I'm sure she won't have a problem with it."

"My mom said, be home by eleven... I have to be home by eleven..."

I didn't tell her we were about five minutes away from her curfew.

"Do you have a phone, Maureen?"

She mumbled something incoherent. I remembered that she had brought a purse but had left it in the car. I dug around under the seat for it and pulled out an iPhone.

At first, I tried to get her to type in the password. But her fingers slipped around without making contact on the screen. After a lot of patient cajoling, I was able to get her password from her.

"Okay, how about this: Mom, can I stay over at my friend Sasha's house...? Maureen?"

She mumbled sleepily.

"Alright. Let's hope this works." I pressed Send and hoped Maureen's Mom was the flexible type.

Maureen's head lolled to the side, her eyes tightly shut. I stared at her, at the curve of her pale cheek, and was jolted out of my reverie when the phone vibrated in my hand.

Ok. Be home early tmrw.

Yes. I typed a quick Thanks and then returned Maureen's phone to her purse.

I parked in front of Sasha's, yanked the key from the ignition and climbed out of the truck.

It was dark on the street but the streetlamps were on, giving me just enough light to walk around the truck and get Maureen out. She was still asleep, so careful as to not wake her, I slid my arms beneath her and picked her up.

Once inside the house, I made my way up the stairs, into the guest bedroom, and laid her on the bed. She started to wake up when I turned on a lamp.

"Ryan?" She mumbled thickly.

I turned to her and my stomach did a little flip. Eyes that were clouded with confusion and alcohol cleared briefly when they met mine and then she smiled and I couldn't speak.

"Ryan..."

"I'm here."

"I..."

"What is it?" I crouched beside her.

"Did anyone ever tell you... you look like Tom Cruise?"

I felt my lips twitching. "Ah... no."

"Well, you do..." she sighed a little. "When he was young, at least. I al... always... had a crush on him..."

"Is that so?" I smiled. Straightening up, I reached for her feet. Her shoes were a complicated maze of straps. I fiddled with the clasps.

"I'm gonna... gonna marry him when I grow up..."

I shook my head to myself and pulled the shoe off.

"Well, I hope you invite me to the wedding, at least." I said, taking her wrists and pulling her upright. She slumped forward.