3

I open my eyes, expecting to see the ceiling of my room back in Alabama. But no. Instead, I see the underneath of a bunk bed. I glance at the sign on the wall and get up. I look over the side of the top bunk and see the bed is neatly made. There is a sticky note on the pillow. It reads:

Jasmine:

I knew you would look here for me. I am downstairs. We signed you up for gymnastics at my gym and we have a 3 hour class today. Meet me downstairs.

-Marissa

Gymnastics. I completely forgot about gymnastics. I’m a level 4 gymnast. Marissa is level 3. I need to work on beam and she needs to work on bars. I can’t wait. I love gymnastics. It’s my life. I suppose my mom only signed me up to get rid of me but either way it changed my life. I change into my leotard and throw a t-shirt and shorts on over it. I go downstairs and on the kitchen table is a feast. Bacon, eggs, cinnamon rolls, everything. I sit down next to Marissa and dig in to my first cinnamon roll. “You got your leo on? We have to leave soon,” Marissa says with mouth full, spewing crumbs everywhere. “Yeah, I’m ready. Let me get my bag first.” I run upstairs and pack my gym bag with grips, bandages, and an extra leotard. As I go back downstairs, Marissa speaks to me. “I don’t want you to be nervous but today is team tryouts.” I nod, suddenly nervous. Tryouts? Well, at least if I make it, I’m on the team while I’m here. But if I don’t make it---. “Come on, Jasmine. We don’t want to be late.” Marissa breaks my thoughts and pulls me to the car. As we drive by the house across the street from her, I see 2, no, 3 boys get out of the car. Whatever, it’s not like I’ll meet them anytime soon.

We walk into her gym and I see four girls practicing for tryouts. The girl on the pit bar does two giants and does a flyaway into the pit. I gulp. I look at the girl on vault. She does a yamashita and lands perfectly. I look away, nervously. “You’ll be fine,” I hear a stranger say. I look back and see a young lady wearing a nametag that reads: Hello, I am: Coach Karen. “What level are you trying out for?” “I’m gonna tryout for level 4 or 5, whichever one I can get.” She smiles warmly, the smile brightening her eyes. “Well you have nothing to worry about. Those girls are going for level 9.” I relax a little and smile at her. “Thanks. I was nervous for a second. They’re really good. Did you train them?” I ask. She nods. “Yeah, I have high hopes for them. Go change into your leo and you can warm up on floor or beam if you’d like.” She turns and walks toward Marissa and I claim a cubby for us. I stick my bag in and walk over to the beam. 

I mount and practice my routine from state. I turn slightly and pose, then kick into my cartwheel. I stumble a bit, but straighten up and salute. I stick my leg out in front and pull it into my arabesque. I touched the beam with my toe and did a split leap, landing with one foot on the beam, perfectly balanced. I kick confidently and go into a handstand. I step back onto the beam and swing my leg, half turning on releve. Split jump. Straight jump. Half turn. Cartwheel half turn dismount. Salute. A whistle is blown when I turn towards Marissa. “Girls, come over to the floor. Let the tryouts begin.”

“Okay. How many people are here?” Coach Karen does a head count. She says softly, “20, 21, 22, 23, 24. Okay we have 24 girls here. We have set up places for the different levels to compete. Level 1 and 2 girls go to beam. Level 3 and 4 girls go on floor. 5 and 6 go to bars. And other levels at vault.” I walk over with Marissa, neither of us knowing anyone. I find it weird that she doesn’t, considering this is the gym she trains at. I hadn’t had time to practice my floor routine. I hope I don’t fail, especially in front of this many people. She calls people up by last name.