Chapter 26- Denial

This is a short filler chapter. I should be updating again at the end of the week. I'm excited for the last few chapters. Thank you to everyone who continues to read, vote, and comment even through these spaced out updates!!

**************************************

*Keyanna* 

These past few days have gone by in a blur. Both of our birthday’s had passed, but they seemed like ordinary days.  When August told me that Mel had been killed, I honestly didn’t know how to react. I can’t even lie and say that I didn’t cry at first. Even though I’ll never forget, I had forgiven Mel for what he had done. I wanted to hate him with everything in me, but I couldn’t do it. Nobody’s perfect, people make mistakes and I’m all for second chances. I believe that people can change for the better.

I’ve heard people say that everybody grieves differently, and now I’m seeing it firsthand. Kiara wasn’t even that close to Mel, but she’s cried more than the rest of us. I guess she’s just a sensitive person who doesn’t deal with death well. Denzel has been acting completely unpredictable. One minute he’s acting normal, like nothing has happened, and then the next he’s sad and acting depressed. 

From the outside looking in, it would appear as if August is taking this well, but he is in serious denial. Every few hours he calls Mel’s phone, almost like he expects him to answer. I think in his heart, August knows that he’s dead, but something won’t let him believe it. He’s been spending most of his time trying to find out everything he can about what happened that day. August may seem okay now, but it’s only going to be harder in the long run when he finally accepts the truth. 

“Marcus called me the other day,” I spoke, breaking the silence. We were all sitting around doing anything just to pass the time. This is pretty much how all our days have been spent. 

“What did he say?” August asked, sitting down the Barbie doll he had in his hand. Kimberly had made him and Denzel play with her. Somewhere along the way, the barbies had turned into rival gang members and they ended up having a shoot out.

“He said he’s taking the blame and that if the police try to question you he wants you to say you had nothing to do with it,” I repeated what Marcus had told me earlier.

“He’s probably about to be in there for a while,” Kiara assumed.

“Maybe he can get a lighter sentence since he’s so young,” I suggested. He is still a minor so his sentence shouldn’t be that long. 

“Ayyee, free Marcus though, let all of my dogs out,” Denzel sang, standing up and doing the shmoney dance.

“Mama said no pussy cats inside my dog house. That’s what got my daddy locked up in the dog pound,” Kiara added, standing up and dancing with him.

Denzel stopped mid dance to answer his ringing phone. He listened intently to what the person on the other end was telling him. I couldn’t really read his expression, but he did seem to be interested in whatever the person was telling him. 

“Aug, let me talk to you right quick,” Denzel said after he hung up the phone. He headed off towards a room in the back and August got up to follow him. I wonder what that’s about.

“Where are you going?” I asked Kiara when she started walking in the direction August and Denzel had went.

“To find out what they’re talkin’ about,” she answered.

“If they walked out the room, it’s probably something they didn’t want us to hear,” I told her, causing her to turn around and look at me.

"Keyanna, there's so much you need to learn. When you're dating boys like August and Denzel, you gotta be aware of everything that's going on around you. You can't give them no opportunity to lie or keep secrets from you," she said as if she was speaking words of wisdom. She continued walking and left me to think about what she had just said. I guess she has a point.