Chapter 10- The Funeral

This is a short filler chapter just to lead up to the big things that will happen next!!

******************************************

Keyanna POV

A few days later, it was the day of  Rodney's funeral. I had just woke up and looked over at Kimberly. She was tossing and turning so I got up and walked over to her. I pulled the cover back and saw that she was covered in sweat. I felt her forehead and she was burning up. I quickly made my way to the medicine cabinat in the bathroom.

"I talked to your momma last night," Huey said as soon as I grabbed the thermometer. I wanted to ignore him and get back to Kimberly, but he was blocking my path. I looked up at him, but remained silent. 

"She wants me to take y'all to see her tomorrow," he said a few moments later.

I was almost at a lost for words. I didn't know if I would be happy to see my mom or not. If she was actually going to stay and get better, then I would be happy, but I didn't want her selling us false hope. She might wake up one day and decide that she doesn't want to stay in rehab anymore. Besides all that, how did I know Huey was even telling the truth? He might have not even talked to my mom. He could have easily been lying to me.

"Ok," I simply replied, hoping that this would end the conversation. I needed to go check on Kimberly. He stared at me for a few moments, then shook his head and left. I made my way back to Kimberly. She was awake and sitting up in her bed.

"It hurts right here," Kimberly said while pointing to her belly button. I thought about everything we had eaten these past few days. I couldn't think of anything that could have made her sick. I put the thermometer under her arm and waited for it to beep. After it went off, I saw that her temperature was 100.2º. It was high, but not high enough to be considered dangerous. It was only a low-grade fever, but I was still worried about her. She shouldn't have been sweating as much as she was. I knew that I couldn't take her to the funeral. I didn't know whether I should stay here with her, or see if Mrs. Roberts would watch her while I went to the funeral. It would give me a good excuse to not go, but I would feel bad if I didn't go to Rodney's funeral.

I finally decided to ask Mrs. Roberts to watch her for me. I got her ready and then walked over to Mrs. Roberts' aprtment. I knocked on the door and patiently waited for her to answer.

"Good morning girls. What's wrong with Kimberly," Mrs. Roberts asked when she looked down at her.

"I don't know, she woke up with a fever and a stomach ache," I explained.

"Could it have been something she ate, " Mrs. Roberts asked with concern.

"I don't really know," I replied.

"You girls can come in," Mrs. Roberts said as she opened the door wider.

"I actually can't stay long. One of my friends passed away last week, and today is the day of his funeral. I was wondering if you could watch Kimberly just until I get back," I replied quickly. 

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Of course I can watch Kim for you, " she replied.

I thanked her and told Kimberly goodbye before walking back to our apartment. I hated leaving my sister, but I knew she was in good hands. When I got inside I went straight to my room. I checked my phone and saw that I had a text from August saying they would be here about an hour. I said okay and went to get ready.

****************

When August texted me that they were outside, I quickly stopped by Mrs. Roberts house to check on Kimberly and then made my way outside. I got in the truck and noticed that it was just August and Denzel.