Pt 1

Oceanside,California a little under 3,000 miles from the city Olivia Ealey had called home for the last eight years. As a girl it had been difficult to imagine ever leaving Oceanside, striking out in the world on her own, never in her wildest dreams did she see herself living the slow and steady New England life. Visiting Connecticut as a child Olivia couldn't wait to return back to the sun and surf. Who knew a place with four seasons would be such a save haven.

Cheap drug store sunglasses hid her eyes, she'd picked up the yellow shades somewhere around Toledo, Ohio. They had been serving her well and despite the bright colour they didn't look half bad on her. Head against the window of the truck, she watched as the streets grew familiar and the scenery updated itself from when she had been a girl, riding her favourite purple bike through the same neighbourhood. Back then there had been less stress and even lesser concerns for what was going on in the world around her.

"You still with me?" Deran Cody's familiar and calm voice prodded into her thoughts.

"Huh?Oh yeah, sorry I'm such shitty company. I'm still tired from the drive." Olivia smiled at her acting chauffeur.

"Why did you drive, anyway? Flying would be cheaper and faster." Deran reasoned turning onto the street of their destination.

Olivia shifted around in her seat, turning away from the window to face her oldest friend. "Because, you don't get to see anything when you fly. Besides, it's summer, and what better way to spend it than a road trip?"

"We clearly have different ideas of fun." Deran mumbled with a teasing laugh.

"You should try it, I think you'd like it."

"If I can ever get away from the bar, maybe I'll drive over and visit fora few weeks." Deran added, flipping the signal light to indicate his turn into the drive way. "Who knows, maybe I'll like it so much I'll never come back?"

"You'd come back, the surfing there is fucking awful."

An avid surfer, Olivia wasn't thrilled with the waves on the east coast,but they would hold her over until she could return on her visits to California. Deran would take one look at the Atlantic waves and be back in the Pacific before dinner time.

Sitting in the drive way, the truck's engine faded from a soft roar to dead silent, when Deran turned the keys. Olivia hadn't been inside of these gates in nearly five years, the last time she had walked out of the Cody Compound had been a terrifying and liberating moment.Allowing herself to break free from the tiny strings that this family could hold over a person.

"You coming?" Deran glanced over, a cigarette hanging from the corner of his mouth. Olivia hadn't noticed him open the driver's door, while he continued to sit beside her.

"Uh,yeah. Yeah," she sniffed hard and nodded.

A vibration coursed through Olivia when she shut the truck door behind her, the heavy door making a louder thud than she felt it needed to.Following Deran around the garage, into the pool area, Olivia took note of the tiny details. The house was the same as she remembered,new curtains and more beer bottles laying around, but it was as if this place never changed. Deran's mother was particular about how she liked things to be around her home, even when she was behind bars at the local lock up.

"Where is everybody?" At the Cody house, there was always somebody around.No matter what, you were never alone and Olivia never forgot that detail.

"Inside."Deran nodded toward the lavish sliding glass doors.

Growing up three houses down from the Cody house had been an experience.Olivia, like every other Oceanside native, had heard all of the rumors and the gossip. Wild parties, endless drugs and booze, the speculations that surrounded the family and their ... business. It was a free for all and at the helm of the ship Janine "Smurf"Cody. Ruthless, cunning, backstabbing, and terrifying – all while smiling and being the perfect neighbour.