Patches....

• Dedicated to Ruby - the best puppy ever

I found myself once again waking up to that loud, horrible, obnoxious screaming. It was so loud it was penetrating my ear drums. Oh how I wished it would all stop. It was all too loud but, I was all too use to this scenario. The same screaming, the same fighting and the same arguing. It had become a big part of my daily routine and a big part of my life. Thankfully I had Patches.

Patches, the one I always found myself confiding in. Patches, the one who was always by my side. Oh how I loved her. She was so amazing. I told her everything. That was also a part of my daily routine, to tell Patches all about my day, to tell her what made me laugh and what made me cry. Today had not started off as one of the best of days for me.

I hurried out of bed to see what all the noise was about this time but, of course deep down inside, I already knew the answer. They had been drinking again. It was happening all the time now, a regular reoccurrence. I was always caught in the middle, not knowing what to think of what my parents had become. 

It had all happened so suddenly. I was too young to remember everything that happened that night but, what I do remember still does haunt me even to today. It was a cold winter night, the coldest of the whole winter that year. The sky was a dark grey, clouds filled the sky and I fell asleep to the sound of rain. I had not been asleep long, when suddenly I could smell smoke. My parents rushed to my room and ripped me from my bed. We ran form the house, leaving everything behind and that night we lost everything too.

That fire was in a weird way, the death of my parents even though they are still very much alive. They lost themselves, along with my house. That night I lost my parents but, i gained my best friend. I found Patches that night, curled up at the back of the motel we stayed at, my parents let me keep her and from then on started our long friendship.

The yelling continued, so I got out of bed and walked into the kitchen, thankfully the screaming had  now into a bedroom which meant I had a semi-peaceful breakfast. I first made Patches breakfast, a delicious one of course with her favourite milk on the side. I then made myself toast, which I slightly burnt but that taste was masked by the jam that I then spread on it.

I went about, cleaning up the dishes and sweeping the door. I always cleaned the house it would not function if it wasn’t for me, cooking and cleaning. I made dinner every night to the best I could and most mornings made breakfast but today I was running late.

I then hurried off to my room to get ready for school. I quickly put my school uniform on and I was on my way. I had to say goodbye to Patches before I left though. See, she couldn’t come to school with me. That was the worst thing about school, no Patches, no best friend. I was practically running out of the door by this point in time. I gave Patches a kiss on the head and then screamed out goodbye to my parents but as usual I got no reply. They probably couldn’t hear me over their own screaming.

I closed the door behind me hoping that today went fast. The weather was sad and gloomy out today, which was always a bad sign for me. Whenever the weather was bad outside, usually so was my day. I counted every tree I went past on my way to school, and felt as though maybe I would defy the weather today.

That quickly changed when I arrived at school. I was late, which meant I had to run to class. I bumped into the principal on my way to class and was scolded for running in to corridors. I didn’t care however; my teacher was much scarier than the principal could ever be. I kept running to class and thankfully my teacher was away today.

I was greeted at the door by no one as usual, besides the somewhat surprisingly nice relief teacher. She had the most amazing, long, flowing, blonde air and was impeccably tall. I was shocked, that someone in my school was being nice! I stopped started and apologized for being late. I walked to my seat as I usually would, I sat on the table where no one else sat, it was as everyone else called it the ‘losers’ table.