Chapter 12

Dylan

The room is somewhat dark, except for a few dim lights overhead. Everything seems a little fuzzy at first but, when I'm finally able to focus more clearly, I see Parker, he's asleep in the chair. It hurts to move, and my head is killing me. I can't remember anything, and I don't know why I'm here. I reach down and feel for a call button; finding it, I press the button and wait. A couple minutes later a nurse comes in.

"Dylan, how are you feeling honey, can I get you anything?

"Could you help me lift my head and I would love some water."

"Sure, thing sweetie." She says as she pushes a button and my head starts to lift.

"I'm Sandra and I'll be your day nurse. You just sit tight, and I'll be back with your water."

I watch as she leaves and then notice Parker is awake. He looks like hell; like he hasn't showered in a week. It makes me wonder how long he's been here. He walks over to the side of my bed and gazes down at me. He doesn't say anything to me for what seems like forever and I'm starting to become uncomfortable.

"Dude, you're not going to like kiss me, are you?

"Fuck no, what the fuck is wrong with you?

"Well... you were just steering at me for so long and you didn't say anything." We both laugh.

"Honestly bro, I'm just relieved you're alive."

"Yeah, me to I guess."

"What do you mean you guess?

"I don't remember anything that happened or how I ended up in the hospital but, one thing I do remember is Lexi. Where is she?

"She was here but, we haven't been able to get a hold of her since we dropped her off yesterday. Leanne said she overheard one of the hospital staff say that someone snuck into the hospital and crashed into him before bolting out the door."

"Hmm, that's weird. Where's Leanne now?

"She's probably outside, she's been trying to get a hold of Lexi all day to let her know you're awake."

"I hate to ask but, how did she react when she found out about what happened."

"She was extremely upset, and Leanne said Lexi felt a little uncomfortable about meeting your parents under such dire conditions."

"Jesus! She met my parents?

"Yeah, but it's all good, despite your condition your parents really seem to like her."

I wasn't sure what to think about all of this, the last time I brought a girl home to meet my parent's it was the girl I planned to marry. Knowing that Lexi met my parents and that they like her, makes everything I had planned a little easier.

"That's great man, I'm anxious to see Lexi."

"Why don't I go find Leanne and see if she's has any promising news about your girl."

"I would like that."

As Parker walks out nurse Sandra walks back in with my water. I never thought I could love water as much as I love it right now. It's cold, refreshing and it makes me miss the beach. It's been more than an hour and Parker hasn't returned with a status report. I'm feeling more impatient by the minute and wonder if my cell phone is nearby, so I can text Parker. Slowly, I lift myself from the bed; it's painful but, doesn't hurt as much as it did earlier. I swing my feet out over the bed and take a deep breath before landing on my feet. I glance around, hoping my belongings are close by so that I don't have to walk too far. I notice a bag on the chair in the corner, it's only a few steps away. Putting one foot in front of another, I walk toward the chair. I get about half way there when Leanne and Parker walk into the room.

"What are you doing? Leanne barks at me.

"Trying to reach my things. I was going to text Parker."

Concerned, Parker and Leanne help me back to bed. I notice they both seem a little uneasy and I'm immediately alarmed of whatever impending news they may have for me.

"What's up? Why do you both look so...apprehensive?

"I haven't been able to get in contact with Lexi. I left a voice mail but, she still hasn't called me back."

Silence....

"Ok, so where do you think she is? I ask,

"Honestly, your guess is as good as mine."

Her response is disconcerting and now I'm the one feeling concerned about Lexi's welfare. All sorts of thoughts are going through my mind; what if she got into an accident? What if she thinks I'm dead and ran off with Tripp? As I try to process these thoughts, Parker's cell rings. He steps out of the room for a moment and I glance up at Leanne.

"She loves you Dylan and I know she'll be here."

"You can't know that for sure."

Parker walks back in the room before Leanne has a chance to reply and he looks perplexed. His eyebrows are furrowed, and he seems a little uneasy.

"What's up? I ask.

"That was my buddy Kevin. He says they found Lexi's car abandoned at a Costco's."

My heart begins to race wildly, and it feels like all the blood in my body has pooled in my stomach because I'm suddenly nauseous. Fuck. What if she was kidnapped? Or worse, what if she was raped? As horrible as it is to think about, I can't seem to get these thoughts out of my head and now I'm starting to feel angry. I'm angry at Lexi for leaving, I'm angry with the fact that I can barely move and that I can't look for her myself. Suddenly, I don't feel pain anymore, I feel like I can jump out of bed and run a marathon. However, I know that if I try to leave, Parker and Leanne will most likely handcuff me to the bed. I'm sure they probably keep a pair of kinky handcuffs on them for spur of the moment occasions.

"Well... did he say anything about it? Did he suspect foul play?

"No, he said the car looked as if it was left there on purpose; like maybe she got a ride from someone else."

"Do you think he can track her down?

"I already asked him if he could help track her. He said that he can try but, since it isn't his main job, it may have to wait. I have confidence that he'll make it his priority, I told him the situation and how important it is."

"Thanks."

That's all I could say at that moment. It was nice knowing I have friends like Parker and Leanne to back me up but, it didn't help with my nerves. The thought that Lexi could be hurt or in danger from some predator was killing me. Why do I have to be stuck in this bed when all I want to do is help find my girl. Parker decides to leave to get some take out. He's nice enough to ask if I want anything and as tempting as that offer is I'm too anxious and don't have an appetite. Leanne decides to go with Parker and I'm left alone to my thoughts, which isn't a good thing. I have an over active imagination and unrealistic movie plots are running through my head like a movie projector. Feeling antsy, I move to get up and realize I need to use the bathroom. It takes me a few minutes but, I finally make it to the restroom. I leave the bathroom door ajar, just in case. When I open the door, I look up and lock eyes with Lexi. She's just standing there and suddenly I'm so overcome with emotion that I feel faint and start to fall.

When I open my eyes, I'm back in bed only this time I'm not alone. Lexi is curled up next to me, her arm is draped around my middle and her hair smells like fresh coconuts. I'm not sure how to feel right now. Part of me is shocked, the other part of me is relieved to know that she is here with me and not with someone else. Maybe she does love me? Either way, I have a lot of questions.

"Lexi?

"Hmm." She replies, opening her eyes and turning them toward mine.

I take in her beauty the way I always have, with admiration and appreciation. She is the most wonderful, most beautiful woman I have ever been with and I feel lucky to be with her. I feel so lucky, that I feel it's time to get some answers, particularly one answer that means the most to me.

"Will you marry me?