Chapter 3

Lexi

I sense that I am alone in bed. The sun is shining through the cabin windows, casting rays of light onto the bed. There is a piece of paper on his pillow. I'm thinking it's a love note, something that says he loves me and that he can't wait to see me later. Feeling anxious, I grab the note and read.

My beautiful Lexi

There is so much I want to tell you, but I can't. I've never felt this way about anyone and it scares the hell out of me. I'm sorry, I just can't give you what you want. I hope you find someone that will give you everything and treat you like a queen.

Love, Tripp

What? He left? I suddenly feel sick, I thought we had a great night together. Shit. Did I say something to make him run for the hills? There is a pain and it feels like my heart has dropped into my stomach. I rack my brain to try and understand what could have happened but, my mind is drawing a blank. The tears are fresh, and the pain is too real. I wrap myself up in the blanket and lay on the bed; heartbroken. This feeling of abandonment is all too familiar. What now? What do I do? Leanne warned me about this, she said I would get hurt and she is right. Everything she has ever said to me about Tripp starts to materialize and it is too much to take in. I begin to cry, like I've never cried before and at some point, I drift off to sleep.

"Lexi? Hey, Lexi. Wake up sweetie."

Slowly, I open my eyes, trying to focus. Dylan is leaning over me and he looks concerned. I must have fallen asleep, my head feels foggy and it's painfully pounding, Then I remember how I got here, Tripp fucked me in this bed, he had been passionate, and I felt like we had shared something special but, it couldn't have been too special for him because the letter he wrote me was garbage. Shit, the letter, where is the letter? Throwing the blanket off me, I frantically start searching for the letter, but it's lost.

"What's Wrong? What are you looking for? Dylan asks.

I attempt to answer but, I can't seem to find my voice. When I go to speak, my voice breaks, my stomach feels like it's in a vice grip and I can't seem to catch my breath. I'm out of my mind in love with Tripp but, he isn't here, and Dylan is. I'm not sure what to tell him, or whether I should say anything to him at all. He moves closer and brushes away fresh tears from my cheek. I can tell he cares about me and when I look at him I feel relaxed. He leans in and before I can stop him, he kisses me. His lips are warm, and he tastes sweet on my tongue but then I remember last night, and all the memories of Tripp come charging back. Breaking off the kiss, I stand and start collecting my belongings.

"What? What did I do? He asks. I don't answer him right away. Swooping my shoes off the floor, I look back at him.

"I can't do this." Dylan looks crushed and confused and I feel bad because he is a great guy.

"I'm sorry, it isn't you, it's me." I say as I turn and leave.

Dylan

I have no idea what just happened. I finally get close to her and she freaks out: I really don't get her. Confused, I make my way off the Seaduction. Standing on the dock with my hands in my pockets, it occurs to me that I may be trying too hard. Maybe I should back off a bit and let her figure things out on her own. But, no... that doesn't seem right, whatever happened must be painful and she is going to need a shoulder to cry on. I understand how messy and complicated relationships can get, I should know. It was only a year ago when my own fiancé left me at the altar. The pain I experienced felt unbearable, I was a hot mess and I didn't have anyone to lean on for support.