Chapter One (Fire)

Chapter One (Fire)

Zooey

My lungs burned. I gasped, struggling for clean air. I squinted through the black smoke searching for the door, my eyes watering uncontrollably. Orange flames licked up my walls, giving off an insufferable heat, making a slick coat of sweat cover my skin, my clothes then begun to stick to me.

All I could smell or see was a cloud of thick black smoke. A loud creaking from the corner drew my gaze. The ceiling teetered in on itself, collapsing in slow motion. I raised my shaking hands in attempt to shelter myself. The ceiling of my room fell, holding me down to the floor, my screams being drowned out by the sound of crackling flames.

My older brothers and sister to no avail were on the other side of my door, screaming my name and receiving no answer. My room was the only one on fire, at least for now. I had stupidly lit a few candles in my room to help relieve my stress. I went to the adjoining bathroom in my room for a minute and when I came back one of the candles had fallen.

"Zooey!" All three of them called at once, my reply muffled from all the creaking and groaning, my plea for help, couldn't be heard.

"Keep on breathing, Zo!" Charlotte screamed through the thick door, which was engulfed with flames.

The ringing of sirens met my ears, relief flooding through me instantly. The loud thudding of boots hitting the stairs, multiple voices yelling loudly, echoed throughout my room. The door flew open, my eyes landing on two firefighters. They rushed towards me, ignoring the flames as they licked at their clothing. "Hold on sweetheart. We are going to get you out of here." One of them spoke, while the other called for backup.

Slowly but surely the bits of ceiling were lifted off of me, and I was carried out of my room, the flames scorching my pale skin. I held in a scream while my arms were burned and my face. A group of men rushed past me, into my room holding a large hose. I heard the water gush out, and I instantly knew everything of mine would be ruined.

I was rushed outside our house, where my two brothers and sister ran after me, pulling me into their arms away from everyone. "Zooey!" They all cried at once.

I clung onto them equally upset. Ignoring my burning skin, seeking their comfort more than anything. Cops and EMT's circled us like vultures, prying me away from their protective hold.

"Second Degree burns!" A young man yelled, strapping me to a gurney.

"Let me go! I'm fine!" I screamed thrashing around, my arms and almost every part of exposed skin stung ferociously, screams of agony tore from lips

"Zooey darling!" I knew that voice, but I couldn't remember. "What's going on? Tell me what happened!" His voice rose with panic. Someone answered him, and I thrashed even harder against the arms holding me down.

"Let me go!" I howl in raw pain, my body had never hurt more in my life, I felt like my skin was on fire.

"Calm down, everything will be alright." A soothing southern drawl washes over me and a warm familiar hand grasps mine. I look up at the man everything seems so familiar. Beautiful green eyes are bright with worry and pain.

"Please I just want my brothers and sister." He nods removing his hand to walk away and walks over to them. Speaking quietly in hushed whispers before strolling back, a lazy smile on his lips, and I can't help but love the look on his face.

"They are going to meet you at the hospital, you have some pretty serious burns that need to be taken care of and a head wound, darling."

They put me into an ambulance, and within the hour my burns are treated and I lie in a white hospital bed, waiting for Charlotte, Cash, and Cody. Charlie rushes into the room, dropping her things frantically.