Prologue

My feet thundered against the wet ground as I ran, my breath coming out in uneven puffs that fogged the night sky. A stitch in my side slowed me down drastically, but I had to push against all odds-I could hear the shouts and the panting of the dogs. I heard the policemen's handcuffs clanking against their guns as they chased me. I kept running, ignoring the many voices that were calling out to me.

I could hear the shouts, the deep breathing of dogs, and the clanking of guns hitting against handcuffs behind me. I kept running, ignoring the many voices that called out.

Everything that I had worked so hard on was crumbling.

My legs burned with every step and my lungs screamed in protest with each inhale and exhale.

Faster.

I had to run faster. I dared not look behind me; I knew it would slow me down. I came to a dead end my breathing erratic, I glared at the obstacle in front of me. The fence is high, much taller than my 5 foot 4 frame. My chances of jumping are slim.

I took a deep much needed breath and ran, launching myself off the ground and effectively jumping over the fence, but like always fate had a different plan.

And my foot got caught at the last second.

I desperately reached to release it, the metal, rusty fence started to shake because of the jumping dogs, barking and clawing, everything suddenly became much harder than before. "Zooey!" I heard his scream, and felt his pain.

My vision started to blur from the pounding in my head, salty tears slowly started to escape my eyes.

I couldn't lose him again, this time I wouldn't survive. I closed my eyes trying to ignore the dizziness and think of anything else, a reason to fight.

I thought about us, and everything we had been through, I wanted a family, a future, more memories, more time.

With renewed strength I opened my eyes, I could see clearly and I reached again.

I started to fall as a blur of images flew through my mind, and then time slowed. A scream of mind numbing pain echoed in the alley. Everyone watched mouths open in horror.  His scream of pure terror rang in my ears ; I knew he wouldn't be able to reach me in time. I could only pray that he would someday forgive me. Time sped up again, I didn't have time to scream, or to say my apologies.

I fell hitting the concrete below.

My body hit the ground with a loud crack and splat, and everything blurred once again. Pain flooded through me all at once every bone and muscle throbbed in pure agony, I wanted to scream, but no sound could escape my parted lips.

I heard rushed voices; before all went black I was finally giving up, my adrenaline rush coming to an end along with my short life. But for the first time in years I was fully content, I could finally be rid of the beast.

Everyone would finally be safe.