Chapter 3

Picture of who I imagine as Nikki at the top! Just add glasses

RAY'S POV...

***

As soon as I stepped foot inside the stadium, my Wolf started howling at me. I knew that this could only mean that our Mate was in the area.

I immediately got extremely excited. I tried to focus. My mom always told me that my Mate wouldn't be able to resist me or my Wolf. I started to picture what she might look like. I wondered about how soft her lips would be, how old she was, and if she was even a Wolf. That would make the situation at least ten times harder if she wasn't.

I could hear our last opening act performing on the other side of the curtains that separated the people performing from the people that were waiting to perform, which meant we didn't have long before we were to go onstage. Hopefully, I could find her in the crowd while I was on the stage. I didn't know what would happen after that. Maybe I could signal her somehow, or maybe sniff her out after the show. It was all happening so fast and I was running through every possible option in under twenty seconds.

I was so distracted by thinking about my Mate that I didn't even notice the lights turning off. Prodigy, my Beta, had to shove my shoulder a few times to get my attention.

I had to warn him.

With him being my Beta--the closest person to me in rank, but also emotionally since we were best friends--he would feel a strong bond towards the girl that would be his Luna. He would think she was his mate. All the Wolves in the pack would feel the bond, but it would be strongest for Prod.

With the lights in the stadium still off and making the room underlit, the boys and I followed the fluorescent glow-in-the-dark tape strips that showed us the way to where we were supposed to stand. With Prodigy to the far right--because he was the pipes of the group--and me to the far left--because that's just how things work--and Roc Royal and Princeton in between us, the lights slowly turned on.

I was overwhelmed by the feeling of my Wolf trying to come to the surface. I had to remind him that with all the humans in the room, that was absolutely the worst thing that could possibly happen.

Speaking of reminding, I had to remind Prodigy that what he was experiencing was not him meeting his Mate, but rather his Luna.

I tried getting into his mind, but he didn't want to let me in. Probably because he was trying to make sense of what he was feeling. Eventually, though, I barged my way in.

Listen, I said inside his mind. That isn't your Mate. She's mine. Touch her and you die. I'll explain later.

By that time, the music had already started playing. Prodigy started singing, but I was still trying to sense where in the audience my Mate was.

Even though I was turned with my back facing the audience, that didn't stop my Wolf from calling out to her, wherever she was. She felt so close that she had to be on the front row. I could smell her sweet scent. Like strawberries.

I was so distracted by her sweet scent that I was a little late on my turns. As soon as I did turn, however, my eyes locked on hers. She had a cell phone partially blocking her beautiful face. I could see her huge eyes--an astonishing hazel--staring back at me. All the other guys had started dancing, but I was just standing there, my eyes not tearing away from hers for even a second. Eventually, I just started walking across the stage.

I walked down the the curving staircase on the left. I saw Prodigy making his way down the curving staircase on the right, but I shot him a murderous glance. It scared him so bad, he ran back up the stairs, mumbling instead of singing. This entire performance would look like a wreck, but all I cared about was getting to the future Luna of my pack.