Chapter Three || Prejudice

Exhaling deeply, Hazel gazed around her room. Model horses were scattered across the floor and a surprising amount of equestrian posters embellished her otherwise cream walls. However, her eyes soon focused on a select item. Over her bed was a glowing string of fairy lights, pictures of her and Shade hanging in between each bulb.

The first depicted a leggy little colt who had trusted no one. Just along from it was the photo of Hazel's first interaction with the youngster, a gentle touch. The story continued from there. Eventually pictures of three foot jumps and a leaping Shade appeared and photos of Hazel brimming with pride as she displayed the blue ribbon from their first show . Hazel sighed, feeling almost as if their magnificent journey had been torn to shreds.

It's mum's fault... Hazel thought angrily.

Her lips were shut tight and her gunmetal blue eyes, dark and full of hostility. It was obvious that Mrs. Allens was restricting her due to worry for her daughter's saftey but Hazel's emotions had ruled out any rational thinking. Blowing out a short breath, she rumbled back downstairs.

"Mum?"

"Yes Hazel?" Mrs. Allens replied, looking up from her book.

Hazel glanced at the title, Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Mrs. Allens read it whenever she felt distressed.

"I'm going on a walk, I'll be back later. Okay?" She asked, sounding almost bored.

Mrs. Allens eyed her suspiciously before reluctantly nodding her head.
"If you're not back in thirty minutes I'm calling the police!" Mrs. Allens called sincerely as Hazel made her way to the door. She almost let a chuckle escape before remembering she was angry at her mother.

Pepsi sprinted over, excitement written across his fluffy face. Allowing a small grin to cross her lips, Hazel grabbed his sky blue leash and clipped it onto his collar. As she opened the door, he barked loudly, the pair rolled out and headed for the nearby woods.

The frost that made an appearance yesterday had quickly faded, though still cold, Hazel had managed to convince her mother to let her lose a layer. Now she was only wearing a thick pair of jeans, stripy thermals, a long sleeved t-shirt decorated with blue ponies and a comfy oversized sweater with the word EQUESTRIAN printed on the front.

The gravel rolled out beneath them as the ambled past bare trees. Crispy leaves littered the forest ground and the constant twitter of winter birds brought peace to Hazel's restless mind. Pepsi was enjoying himself too. His eyes were bright and his tail wagged happily.

Then, Hazel heard something. An air of tension washed over her body and her movements became stiff. Pepsi had sensed something too, his tail no longer wagged and he had assumed a serious expression. A growl escaped his muzzle and he spun around, barking frantically. Terrified, Hazel held her breath and snapped her gaze behind her. In the corner of her eye she noticed a figure exit the woods in a rush. Wary and unnerved, she ran the rest of the way back home.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry, it's short!
Just wanted to get something done.
Unedited as always...
Kind of a filler chapter, kind of important!
Enjoy!!