Chapter Two || Darkness

The pain was numbed out by the forthcoming darkness. As the gelding heaved his last few breaths, he thought of the little girl with the blissful face and the freckles. She was unaware of his passing. Soon after the fall she had been transported away by a strange white van and Shade was left without his darling rider. A pinch of guilt played at his dying heart. If only he hadn't fallen.

With that his eyes fluttered shut for the last time.

________________________________________________________

The machine beside her kept time like a metronome. Every few seconds it would let out a beep reminding her audience that the girl was still living. Mrs Allens sat silently in the corner. Her face had aged a year in one simple moment. Hazel lay asleep on the white sheets, her expression calm and unconcerned. 

Five minutes later, she moved. Drowsily, she opened her eyes and yawned quietly. Her orbs scanned over the unfamiliar room suspiciously. When Mrs. Allens noticed her daughter, she zoomed to her bedside.
"Mom, what's going on?" Hazel questioned sluggishly.
"You took a bad fall sweetie." Mrs. Allens replied, worry streaming through her voice.
"What? Is Shade okay?" She asked, fear rising in her stomach. What had happened to her special horse?

Mrs. Allens looked away, reluctant to sadden her daughter.
"I'm not sure yet, honey." She answered quietly. Mrs. Allens had been alerted of the death ten minutes prior.

"On a scale of one to Mallory White how bad was it?"
"What do you mean? Mallory seems like a nice girl." Mrs. Allens inquired dubiously.
"Unfortunately not. Seriously though, was it really bad? I can't remember." Hazel questioned, her voice hoarse and scratchy.

Before Mrs. Allens could reply, a chubby nurse waddled in. 
"Ah, she's awake. Now dear, do you have a headache?"

Hazel nodded slowly. Her head was pounding violently. However, that wasn't her top priority at the moment. She needed to know about Shade.

"Any dizziness, nausea, or vision troubles?" The nurse interrogated in her high-pitched tone.

"Not really." Hazel answered, her mind distant. The nurse bobbed her head briefly and wandered out of the room. Hazel turned back to her mother instantly.

"What happened?"

"How about I tell you when we go home, you should rest." Mrs. Allens told her curious daughter gently, her eyes soft and loving. Despite her child's strange love of horses, Mrs. Allen appreciated her little girl so much.

A few moments later, the nurse knocked on the door. She peeped her head through and told the pair that some visitors had arrived. Holly and Kayla entered quietly. In Kayla's grasp was a big bouquet of roses from paddock six. 

Hazel smiled politely at her guests. Her mind begged her to ask the questions she needed to know the answers too but instead she stayed quiet. 
"Are you okay Hazel?" Kayla asked worriedly. 
"I'm alright, hows Shade?" Hazel replied dismissively before asking her question.

Kayla pursed her lips and glanced at Holly who seemed to be holding back tears. Kayla placed the flowers by Hazel and moved towards the door.
"We have to go Ally, we'll see you soon." Holly said blankly, trying to wipe emotion from her face.

Hazel furrowed her brow in utter confusion. Why wouldn't anyone tell her what was going on. She was too afraid to think of possibilities, she just wanted to know. 

Lying on her back, staring aimlessly at the ceiling, Hazel listened silently to the sound of the heart monitor. Every little bleep was a signal of life. A life she could have lost. It was another half an hour before the nurse returned. Hazel found her name was Jodie and she had been working at the hospital for twelve years.

"Okay Hazel Eliza Allens. You should be set to go home in a couple of hours. You have a bad concussion but you'll be alright. I've spoken to your mother about what's going to happen and she'll explain more at home. I'm sorry I can't tell you now but we need to run a couple more tests just to make sure you don't have any permanent damage. Follow me sweetie."

After a couple of tedious examinations, Hazel was released from the white prison. Her mother close beside her, she strolled from the hospital lobby to the family car. 

"Okay Hazel, you're not supposed to eat for the next twelve hours and you cannot fall asleep until your usual bedtime alright? Nurse Jodie gave me some medicine for if you get a bad headache."

"Alright mum."

Mrs. Allens frowned. "Are you okay honey?"

Hazel nodded.
"I'm fine."

_______________________________________________

The house rolled out beneath Hazel as she set foot in her cosy home. She followed the grey carpeted hallway into the living room and slumped down onto the fuzzy couch. Immediatly, Pepsi ran up to her. The little border collie pup wagged his tail enthusiastically, his gem-like eyes enriched with love and joy. A small smile crossed Hazel's face as she lifted the tiny boy onto the couch.

Pepsi curled up beside her and head-butted her softly. When Hazel refused to get up and play, he snuggled up and dozed off. Mrs. Allens fetched herself a warm cup of tea and sat down beside her daughter.
"Please tell me what happened." Hazel asked immediatly.

Mrs. Allens sighed and began to explain. She left out Shade's death. It wasn't time for her to know yet. Hazel nodded with understanding. Mrs. Allens could only hope she didn't want to get back on those dangerous creatures.

"When am I allowed to ride again?"

Her mother frowned disaproovingly.
"Hazel Allens, did you not just fall of one of those beasts?!"

Hazel looked hurt.
"They're not beasts." She argued angrily.

"You could have been killed Hazel. I don't know why you want to do something so dangerous! You're not riding again. Why don't you start dancing?" Mrs. Allens reasoned awkwardly.

"NO!" Hazel exclaimed, her face, horrified. 

"Yes Hazel. Dancing is much safer. Isn't that what most girls your age do?"

"NO. I am not going to be a dancer. I'm not going to be anything but an equestrian." She yelled, fueled by rage and passion.

"Actually you will do what I tell you!" Mrs. Allens exclaimed, raising her voice sternly.

Hazel stood up, glared at her mother and stormed away. She made a disgusted grunting sound and ran up the stairs despite her pounding headache.

The girl was absoloutely seething. Nothing, and no ne, would stop her from riding. 

Nothing, not even darkness.

__________________________________________________

Wooh! Second chapter!
I guess it didn't turn out too bad...
Hope you guys enjoy!
(This is my apology for not posting for ages xD)