Chapter 24 - Fonder Hearts

TREVOR'S P.O.V.

Three months.The longest three months of my life. Everyday I spent thinking about her and I was too weak to do anything about it. Allison refused to speak to me when she found out, and Oliver had threatened to beat me ten times worse than Mr Ivory had, if he ever saw my face again. Not that I cared. Anything would have been better than feeling nothing. My roommate moved out the second he came back to Dawn screaming around the house and Julian felt obliged to move in with me.

He's pretty much the only person who would look me in the eye now.

Even at school it seemed different, like they all knew something. It could have been my own paranoia, but the tension I felt as I walked down the halls made it feel like I was walking down death row to my own execution.

My heart was heavy with regret and guilt. It had been my fault Jenna had been hurt in the first place, had it not been for me she would have healthy and happy and she would never have met me. It seemed odd to think that there was a time that I never knew she existed, though the moment I met her she became the reason for mine.

Her empty desk in my classroom became a reminder of what I had lost. It taunted me. And it seemed I wasn't the only one who felt this way. Cam began to change, so subtly at first, it became hard to tell he was changing at all, then he started to become a whole new person. He lost the glasses. The dorky marvel tees were replaced with shirts and jackets. And the biggest shock was when I caught him and Chelsea making out  over  their desks. I was so shocked I almost sprayed them with desk cleaner.

"Ahem." I cleared my throat, awkwardly.

"Chill, teach." Cam said, leaning back.

"Not in class, please." I had said.

"Not in public you mean. Not where everyone can see." Cam said, icily. The glare he had given me sent a chill down my spine.  "But ya know, it's not like it's morally wrong. Not for us, anyway."

"Cameron, what's gotten into you?" I shot back.

"Well, when your best friend almost dies from a head injury and is under intensive care for a few months, it does make you rethink your life choices."

Cameron leaned forward on his desk, so that his eyes were intently boring into mine. As he opened his mouth to speak, Chelsea who was completely off in her own little world zoned in, interrupting him completely.

"I agree." She beamed. Cam looked annoyed at her but she didnt notice. I smirked. "It was a wake up call for me. Life's too short to let life keep you from what you want." She turned her head to smile at me. "Or who you love."

For a moment I froze. Did she know? How could she? She was the most superficial airhead I had ever met, we couldn't have been that blatant. I was speechless.

"I knew I loved Cam because he made me laugh. But I could never be with him because he was a complete dork and I was really popular so I was just horrible to him. Because it gave me a reason to talk to him without risking anything. That's life. But after hearing about Jenna's accident, I knew I couldn't risk losing him altogether so I went for it and look! We're happy. It shouldn't matter that we're different and that we're being judged everyday because of it because we're happy. Love really does conquer all, right?"

She smiled genuinely, it almost made me forget that she was a horribly shallow person. She looked at Cam with such adoration it was difficult to believe she wasnt the sweetest girl in Munroe High. Cam tried to avoid her gaze but I could tell by the guilty look on his face that the feeling wasnt mutual. I stared at the pair of them as the class begin to bustle in and in that moment I realised I couldn't just give up on her.