Chapter 12 - Close Call

JENNA'S P.O.V

I absolutely dreaded going to school the next day but with my mother constantly smothering me and my father giving me the silent treatment it seemed my only escape. I sat beside my father as we drove in silence and it seemed like the few minutes it usually took to get to school stretched into hours. He stopped the car abruptly and I clambered out clumsily.

"Bye dad." I said brightly.

He stared straight ahead, his face hardened as he avoided my gaze. His hands gripped the wheel tightly, his knuckles turning white. My stomach knotted. I suddenly missed the way he waved and shouted goodbye to me like he used to and I bit my lip, fighting back tears. He'd never been mad at me like this, I was his little girl. I closed the door and hurried to class, listening out, hoping to hear the familiar beep from his old car. Nothing.

"Jenna!" A familiar voice called.

I turned around and saw none other than Mr. Wyatt striding towards me, his dark brown hair pushed back against the wind. He smiled at me and I blushed, my heart pounding against my chest. The familiar feeling of nervousness and longing began to seep in as he drew nearer. I took a deep breath and turned quickly on my heel, heading towards the school office building.

*** 

"Why are you punishing me?" Cam whined as we made our way to English.

I laughed, shoving the piece of paper back into my pocket. I'd found him in the school office and he'd taken the opportunity to lecture me on how running away affected everyone, even the poor office ladies who stared at him amused. It was nice to know he wasnt completely mad at me for running away.

"I dont see how this is a punishment." I said, smirking.

"You wouldnt! You're just leaving me all over again, have you learnt nothing from my little speech?" He exclaimed, exasperated.

"Cam, now you're just being ridiculous. Of course I learnt nothing from your little speech." I retorted, whipping around to face him.

He pulled a face and I stumbled backwards as I collided with someone trying to get out of a classroom. I turned quickly to apologise and froze instantly as I saw who it was. Ms. Aimee bent down to pick up her fallen books, and I held my breath trying to swallow the resentment I felt towards her. She straightened up to look at me and her blue eyes widened instantly.

"Jenna! You're okay!" She cried, wrapping her arms around me.

I fought back the urge to strangle her and stood awkwardly, casting a helpless look at Cam. He shrugged. Ms Aimee pulled away from me, smiling with pity and my insides turned to ice. My great dislike for her grew stronger with every passing second.

"Trev- Mr. Wyatt told me you had run away!" She exclaimed. "I was so worried! Thank goodness you're okay."

"I'm just peachy!" I replied sarcastically.

Cam snorted and quickly covered it up by coughing into his sleeve. Ms Aimee smiled, obviously unable to detect my sarcasm and I shook my head.

"Thats great. Well, I better be getting to my class. Goodbye!"

I watched as she pranced down the corridor and disappeared around the corner.

"Bit dim witted, isnt she?" Cam said and I laughed as we made our way to class.

***

"Whats this?" Mr. Wyatt asked as I placed the piece of paper onto his desk.

"A transfer notice." I said curtly.