Chapter Thirteen

Kelly literally skipped out of her house the morning I went to pick her up to go bridesmaid dress shopping. She jumped in the car with a huge grin, glowing with excitement.

"Are you ready? I can't wait."

"If you are this excited for bridesmaid dresses, I can't imagine what you were like looking for your own dress."

"I didn't shop for one. I'm having my mom's updated."

"Really? That's so cool. Your mom must be thrilled."

Kelly laughed. "Thrilled is an understatement. She cried like crazy when I told her what I wanted to do."

"It's so nice that you are close to your mother."

"You used to be close to yours..."

"That's true, but not the way you and your mom are."

"I think it comes from being the only daughter. You also have your sister."

"Maybe that's it." I wasn't convinced, but I dropped it.

I pulled out onto the interstate heading to a bridal store in the next town over. I rolled up the windows, sad to lose the fresh air, but unable to hear Kelly over the wind.

"I think I know what kind of dresses I want you girls to wear, but of course you get some veto power."

"I'm sure whatever you pick will be fine. It's just Daniela and me, right?" I asked, referring to Tom's little sister.

"Uh huh, we wanted to keep it small. Tom's just having Gavin and my brother."

"Small is nice."

"I think so too." She smiled.

"Are you sure Daniela doesn't mind us shopping without her?"

"No, she insisted. She hates shopping. I know it's weird. I'm finally getting a sister and she won't even shop with me." Kelly messed with the zipper on her purse.

"She's sweet though."

"Definitely. We get along really well."

The bridal shop was small with two thirds of the store full of white and ivory wedding gowns, and the back third displaying colorful bridesmaid dresses. We were the only customers in the store and were greeted warmly by a sales person.

We sat down to consult with her, and the woman bombarded Kelly with questions. "So what look were you thinking of? What does your dress look like? What type of wedding? How many girls? What's the time line?"

"My dress is tea length and ivory, so I want something fairly simple and shorter for the girls. There's only two."

"Any color ideas, fabric?" She made a note on her pad.

"Green and something appropriate for the summer. Oh, and something we can order quickly. We're kind of planning everything last minute."

I smiled. I knew Kelly would pick green dresses. Sometimes the familiar could be so nice.

I tried on at least ten dresses, but Kelly kept going back to the same one. It was a beautiful light green with spaghetti straps and looked incredible on, but the price tag, especially with the rush order fee, terrified me.

"I'm going to get your dress," Kelly said when I finished getting measured.

"You don't have to do that."

"Yes, I do. You took my engagement photos. This is my payment."

"Kel—"

"Don't bother. Tom and I already talked about it."